Is there a way to fix VATS?

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
Ami_K

Is there a way to fix VATS?

Post by Ami_K » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:36 am

I finally got TTW installed, played for a little while and now my VATS doesn't work if I am holding a firearm.
It doesn't even make the sound when I press the key, until the firearm is sheathed/unequipped, then it jumps straight into VATS?

I saw a couple of posts stating that was happening on their console as well. Someone else stated to save and load the game and it will be temporarily fixed, I tried that and it didn't work.

Is there a known fix for this or have I been struck by one of the many F:NV bugs and just have to live with it? :|

It came good for a little while and died again, I have no idea what is causing it.

kennies56

Re: Is there a way to fix VATS?

Post by kennies56 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 pm

I would encourage you to post your load order as this may be an issue caused by a particular mod that you are unaware of.

Ami_K

Post by Ami_K » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 am

kennies56 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 pm
I would encourage you to post your load order as this may be an issue caused by a particular mod that you are unaware of.
The reason I didn't post the load order is because I keep changing things in an attempt to fix the problems. When I googled the issue I found it is also a problem with the stock game, even on the 360. The game is pretty much stock, I suspect either file corruption or a problem in an .ini file. I also have issues with texture loading at a close distance as well (Yes, I changed the number of grids to load, but it had no effect). I didn't have the issue with Fallout 3 or 4.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:20 am

I never heard of this problem before, which unfortunately means I have no idea how to fix it.

But a golden rule of modding these games is that you shouldn't add/remove mods during a playthrough. That can mess the game.

Are you using a controller or keyboard and mouse? If you're using a controller try disconnecting it and check if VATS works using the keyboard. If you're using keyboard, try getting a controller and check VATS. If it doesn't work either way, I assume that you need to reinstall the game (after removing all the files that are left over from uninstalling the game). :?
Signature:

UsagiPyon

Post by UsagiPyon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:44 am

Ami_K wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 am
The reason I didn't post the load order is because I keep changing things in an attempt to fix the problems. When I googled the issue I found it is also a problem with the stock game, even on the 360. The game is pretty much stock, I suspect either file corruption or a problem in an .ini file. I also have issues with texture loading at a close distance as well (Yes, I changed the number of grids to load, but it had no effect). I didn't have the issue with Fallout 3 or 4.
As a rule of thumb, remember that there are some mods that "bakes" into your save files as such removing them have had no effect at all which seems to be your case. As for your vats issue I do not have this problem.

Make sure everything you have is on the latest version as well as using compatible mods.

NVAC
NVSR/NVTF
JIP NVSE 55.10
TTW 3.2.2
etc

Ami_K

Post by Ami_K » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:48 am

Risewild wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:20 am
I never heard of this problem before, which unfortunately means I have no idea how to fix it.

But a golden rule of modding these games is that you shouldn't add/remove mods during a playthrough. That can mess the game.

Are you using a controller or keyboard and mouse? If you're using a controller try disconnecting it and check if VATS works using the keyboard. If you're using keyboard, try getting a controller and check VATS. If it doesn't work either way, I assume that you need to reinstall the game (after removing all the files that are left over from uninstalling the game). :?
I was hoping it was a known and patched issue, like the corrupt save files that plagued the game. I used to open console and type "save save" for progress saves.. that corrupted my old game very quickly due to the save corruption bug.

When I removed the potentially offending mods the problem changed a little. Now I can save-reload to fix it for a while.

I am using keyboard and mouse, I also mapped a few keys to the mouse buttons. It is plugged into a USB 3.0 port via a USB 3.0 hub, Ill give other ports a try. Good suggestion, thanks.
UsagiPyon wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:44 am
Ami_K wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 am
As a rule of thumb, remember that there are some mods that "bakes" into your save files as such removing them have had no effect at all which seems to be your case. As for your vats issue I do not have this problem.

Make sure everything you have is on the latest version as well as using compatible mods.

NVAC
NVSR/NVTF
JIP NVSE 55.10
TTW 3.2.2
etc
Everything was a fresh install but I will give it another look over and see if there's any reported bugs with the releases I have.

It really detracts from the enjoyability of a game when the music is choppy as all hell, the graphics are so distorted locations cannot be identified visually and there's more bugs than a radroach nest.

Right now the only mods I have running in MO2 are standalone, and the mod configuration menu which I probably don't need anymore. The mods outside of MO2 is limited to the 4GB awareness mod and a texture mod I applied beforehand and is part of the NV portion, which I have not reached yet. I didn't apply any F3 mods and the game was freshly installed.

This is depressing, I just want to play the game. I have run into problems with mods before, as we all have in most games.. but the only one that I cannot fix is NV.

RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Don't install mods outside MO2, TTW already does the 4GB patch, audio issues are incorrect audio settings or your drivers are out of date. The problem with LOD is the textures you installed because they are shared between the games, so no it doesn't affect NV side only.