Playing with Continuity

General discussion of potential spoilers. Ask questions about or discuss storyline here.
JaxFirehart

Tesla coil powered train FTW

Post by JaxFirehart » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Tesla coil powered train FTW

OF course if we are going to require BS to be completed, may as well just use vertibirds. Except that the train stations are awesome.

TrickyVein

What if the Enclave was using

Post by TrickyVein » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:08 pm

What if the Enclave was using the rail and that's how they arrived on the East coast after the destruction of the oil rig?

JaxFirehart

Can't believe nobody ever

Post by JaxFirehart » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Can't believe nobody ever suggested that. Might be worth considering. I kinda like that.

JaxFirehart

That's a pretty good idea,

Post by JaxFirehart » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:21 pm

That's a pretty good idea, the only issue I have with it is that it requires you to do the entirety of FO3 before you can go to NV.

That actually fixes a LOT of continuity issues, but I don't like the restriction of movement.

Of course there is always Mothership Zeta, requiring players to either beat the FO3 main quest, or beat Mothership Zeta.

I like having the train station as an Enclave hideout, but then there is another question, why not go back? The enclave on the east coast is well equipped and well supplied, IDK if they could defeat the NCR or not, but I am curious.

wfpeterson

An alternate solution would

Post by wfpeterson » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:18 pm

An alternate solution would be to allow unrestricted travel between CW and NV until the FO3 main quest is completed, then trigger the start of the FNV main quest. If it's possible to prevent the player from breaking into the middle of the FNV main quest then s(he) could do side quests in both games without breaking the immersion.

TrickyVein

I don't like that idea,

Post by TrickyVein » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:05 pm

I don't like that idea, wtfpeter. Traveling to NV *as well as* not starting the main quest, which is what happens when you start a new game in NV, just makes it way too hard to navigate around issues with other quests and modifying vanilla NV to accommodate that which no one wants to do.

We are proceeding, tentatively with the following:

1. That after the destruction of the oil rig at the end of Fallout 2, some if not nearly all remaining Enclave forces used the rail system to travel to the East Coast and escape the NCR. Whether the Enclave already was established at Raven Rock and had control of the mobile base crawler we don't know. Maybe it doesn't really matter.

2. The station in DC is currently controlled by the Enclave, but troop presence there is minimal and guarding the station is a low priority compared to efforts to secure the purifier. 

3. The rail system is not actually operational, to prevent the NCR and others from discovering it and using it. The Enclave is paranoid, and maybe they should be because the LW will have to find a way to make the rail operational again to be able to travel to NV. (Just a mini quest.)

So that leaves a couple of unresolved issues: when the LW should be able to access the station and what becomes of Fallout 3's main quest-line, including BS once the LW leaves for NV and becomes the Courier. 

My personal feelings on this is that the player should be able to leave for NV at any time.* They will be told that once they leave the CW all progress on Fallout 3's main quests will be lost and some parts of the game will become unaccessible as a result. The consequences will be known and the player should be able to play the game as they see fit.

*With the caveat that the LW activate the purifier and get the Enclave to show up first. 

orik

We should first try to

Post by orik » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 pm

We should first try to compile a list of things that break continuity and then work on different bits different way.

We could have the completion of the Survival Guide quest trigger changing the scout handbook objects into survival guides.

Gribbleshnibit8

orik wrote:We should first

Post by Gribbleshnibit8 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:48 am

[quote=orik]We should first try to compile a list of things that break continuity and then work on different bits different way.[/quote]

You should get on that then!

orik

Gribbleshnibit8 wrote:

Post by orik » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 am

[quote=Gribbleshnibit8]

[quote=orik]We should first try to compile a list of things that break continuity and then work on different bits different way.[/quote]

You should get on that then!

[/quote]

I need to beat F:NV first c:

wfpeterson

Point taken. I'm well aware

Post by wfpeterson » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Point taken. I'm well aware how difficult modding can be, especially trying to change already debugged quests.

When you say "We are proceeding..." are you speaking officially for the TTW development team? I'd love to see a sticky thread where all of you discuss the future of TTW. If the goal was to just finish what RFCW started and seamlessly combine the two games I'd say you're at the beta stage now. If the goal is to produce a new single game that's consistent with Fallout 1/2/3/NV canon then I'll be quite interested to follow your progress. Might even help, at least with bug reports.

Unless I've missed something (I've read all the FAQs and most recent forum threads) TTW 2.2a will allow me to play both main quests simultaneously. I could ignore the "9 months later" message and treat all FNV quests as side quests to finding dad. It just breaks canon, especially Lonesome Road.