How does this work regarding FNV and FO3 saves? Can I have one save for FO3 and one for NV?

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
Error505

How does this work regarding FNV and FO3 saves? Can I have one save for FO3 and one for NV?

Post by Error505 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:09 am

Blah blah Fallout 3 on steam is broken, I hear about this, go read about what it does, nice. However I'm so god dam confused on how this handles the 2 games, from what I've read it connects them but can I have one save that starts and plays in New Vegas then make a new save that starts and plays in Fallout 3 and keep them separate? I've tried to find a answer but I've only found people asking if they can use a pre-existing save which is a bit different then having a separate save for each game.

Risewild

Re: How does this work regarding FNV and FO3 saves? Can I have one save for FO3 and one for NV?

Post by Risewild » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:59 am

You can if you want to.
But you need to be careful because Auto saves and Quick saves will overwrite each other due to how the game creates those.

To be honest vanilla quick and auto saves should be avoided, due to them tending to sooner or later break and get corrupted. There's probably auto saving mods or options that might avoid this entirely (IIRC lStewieAl's Tweaks has options for saves).
Signature:

Laclongquan

Re: How does this work regarding FNV and FO3 saves? Can I have one save for FO3 and one for NV?

Post by Laclongquan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:14 pm

You should do a complete 30-saves. 15 saves each game. Whenever save, choose the oldest one first. You generally stop your session when you get to 15th save and start seeing the save of the OTHER game. If you start to stop before seeing the 15th, might as well try overwrite the rest until you see 15th.

On a practical note, it's not good way to play that way though. Chance for failure when you overwrite the wrong save aside, the two games playing side by side might break your immersion.

When you are immersed into big battle in Capital Wasteland, the slow pace of life in Mojave might be unused to you. ANd vice versa, you wont get back into the groove quickly enough for Capital when you come over from Mojave.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:46 pm

If you use MO2 and use profiles you can have completely different setups with different saves, different ini files.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:53 am

I thought all the saves are in documents/my games/fnv/save folder? I use FNV and the time when I once tried out FNV vanilla the saves, auto saves, are in that folder too~

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:05 am

Not with MO2, it virtualizes that folder as well as the game folder. That's the whole point of it.