Steam Overlay/Big Picture help please

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
wh1skey6

Steam Overlay/Big Picture help please

Post by wh1skey6 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:20 pm

I'm trying to launch TotW from inside Steam Big Picture - or at the very least, Steam Overlay. The reason is I have a bt controller that only supports DINPUT. I read that if you launch inside Steam, it will handle the XINPUT to DINPUT mapping.

I added the the script extender as an application inside Steam. I can launch the script extender and it does launch TotW but not inside Steam Overlay/Big Picture - so the BT remote control does not work.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to get TotW to launch inside Overlay/Big Picture?

Laclongquan

Re: Steam Overlay/Big Picture help please

Post by Laclongquan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:39 am

You want to use controller to play a modded FNV game?

This sounds... ambitious.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:40 am

If I remember correctly, Steam Overlay is not compatible with FNV. It actually causes problems for the game. :shock:
There's several overlays that cause problems for FNV, I think another one is Overwolf(?) or whatever it's called. :?
Signature:

wh1skey6

Post by wh1skey6 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:01 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:39 am
You want to use controller to play a modded FNV game?

This sounds... ambitious.
I was hoping for the couch play "giant Nintendo Switch" feel. I have Skyrim for the Switch but never got into it. F03/FNV is more my thing.

I actually can play it if I use a usb cable. iPega 9083 and a Surface Go 2. Of course, I just hit the Wasteland so this could all go to poo real quick.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:13 pm

The overlay is kinda hit or miss on whether it'll crash the game or not. I've never had much luck getting Big Picture to work at all to be honest. Controllers will work fine if you have certain ones. Most games built in controller support expects you to use something like an Xbox controller. That's whats become "standard" for PC control pads these days. FNV will work with an xbox controller, though you won't get the auto-aim features on the PC that were present on the console which will make things more difficult. There is less need for an aim-assist function when you're using a more accurate keyboard and mouse.

It might be easier for you to grab a cheap wireless xbox controller and play the game that way. I've done it when I've played on my tablet PC when I was on vacation. So I know from experience that will work.
Produces the programming equivalent of coffee stains.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:58 am

You could try using this:
Controller Support NVSE
Signature:

wh1skey6

Post by wh1skey6 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:17 pm

Risewild wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:58 am
You could try using this:
Controller Support NVSE
This is interesting and I'll need to check it out. I'm wondering if it also functions as a pseudo wrapper for DINPUT controllers since it maps to actual keyboard inputs.

LunaEversor

Post by LunaEversor » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:48 pm

Risewild wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:40 am
If I remember correctly, Steam Overlay is not compatible with FNV. It actually causes problems for the game. :shock:
There's several overlays that cause problems for FNV, I think another one is Overwolf(?) or whatever it's called. :?
I've honestly never had a good experience with Steam Overlay and Fallout NV. It's like trying to alt-tab without OneTweak. It just doesn't end well. You remember correctly...