How'd they change the skill books?

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
left4tank

How'd they change the skill books?

Post by left4tank » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Can someone please explain to me how they changed the skill books to be worth only 1 point like on FO3 instead of 3 in FNV?

Lyndi

Re: How'd they change the skill books?

Post by Lyndi » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:23 pm

They changed them because they're all over the place in both wastelands, it's not just the few in FNV but all the ones in the CW too. If they were all 3 points you'd cap out every skill in no time flat.
Produces the programming equivalent of coffee stains.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:16 am

Lyndi's hit the nail on the head. :D

Giant post with a lot of numbers warning:

Fallout New Vegas has an average of 4 skill books per skill (it only has 3 Repair books, but it also has 5 Science ones).
The DLCs usually add 2 more books per skill, with the exceptions of Survival only having 1 added, Repair and Science having 3 and Sneak having 4 skill books added.
Then OWB DLC adds 1 craftable skill book for all skills, making it possible to have 13 more books.
And to spoil all the calculations :lol: Honest Hearts has those crates that are always near workbenches. Each of those 4 crates has a chance of containing from 0 to 4 skill books each, so the player can obtain 0 to 16 skill books from them.

This makes it so it's possible to obtain from 94 to 110 skill books in FNV with all the DLCs. This means that the player can get 282 or 376 (with Comprehension perk) skill points, plus, any number from 0 to 48 or to 64 (with Comprehension perk) skill points from Honest Hearts loot.

All of this to end up saying that in FNV with all DLCs (which is what TTW contains) a player can get from 282 to 330 skill points. But with the Comprehension perk this number increases to 376 up to 440.

Now, Fallout 3 adds around 25 skill books for each skill and a couple unique ones that increase Speech ("Paradise Lost" and "Motivational Secrets of the Stars") and some that respawn (Science and Big Guns).
So we'll use the average of 25 per skill, being a total of 325 books.

If we didn't change the books to give 1 or 2 points (with the perk), the player would be able to get 975 to 1300 skill points just from the FO3 skill books. This allows the player to increase all their character's skills to the 100 maximum.

Just from skill books in TTW you would be getting 1257 (+0 to +48 from HH loot) normally and with the perk the number would increase to 1676 (+0 to +64 from HH loot).
The character also gains 10.5 (minimum Intelligence) to 15 (10 Intelligence) skill points per each level up, for a total of 514 to 735 points (49 levels).

All of this and I will not even account for all the other stuff that increases skill points or skills directly, like the TAG! and Educated perks, equipment bonuses or increasing your SPECIAL (which will increase the skills related to those SPECIAL attributes).

You only need 1060 skill points to be able to max all skills after creating your character. :lol:
Signature:

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:03 am

Which is one reason why the level reset at Doc Mitchell is such a good idea.
- We will have only Skill book invested points.
- We will have only perks gained in other ways, and lose all levelup perks.
- Since we are at Doc house with nearly empty handed (the DLC gifts are all received way back at V101 entrance) we are at a refreshing fate of doing it all over again
- With the full expectation of full train-laddened loots await at Freeside~

left4tank

Post by left4tank » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:53 pm

Ok, but I was just interested in how it was done, cause I didn't even know you could mod the skill books. I didn't say anything about raising it to 3, jeez.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:21 pm

Look for the setting fBookPerkBonus in game settings. You can change it to whatever you want. I think someone already made a mod to change it back. It's posted around here somewhere if I recall correctly. Might have been posted to Nexus. Either way, it's just that ID in the Game Setting list in xEdit.
Produces the programming equivalent of coffee stains.

left4tank

Post by left4tank » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:20 pm

Didn't know you could do that

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:30 pm

We're not going to make you back to 0 when changing wastelands, we're going to properly level the NV wasteland like all of F3 and NV DLC are leveled. It's the odd man out.