Can a stronger GPU help with Memory leaks?

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
Vlan

Can a stronger GPU help with Memory leaks?

Post by Vlan » Sun May 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Hello there, got a short technical question about Fallout NV. For the most time I can run the game with ENB with 60fps and ~45fps in high density areas with a 980GTX, but the peformance definitely gets worse after half an hour of play due to memory leaks (even with 4GBLAA, TickFix, 496 Heap, and so on), reaching around 30fps exteriors and maybe a little bit higher in interiors. If I were about to buy buy 2080RTX, would I get the same fps at the end with the memory leaks, or would it be possible to play the game with a higher frame rate?

RoyBatty
Gary

Re: Can a stronger GPU help with Memory leaks?

Post by RoyBatty » Sun May 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Do not set the heap above 400, it will cause instability.

If you are using Project Nevada, it has an issue with frame rate degradation due to the amount of orphaned effect scripts running in the background.

And nope, GPU is barely utilized in these games, it's entirely CPU bound because of draw calls.

Vlan

Post by Vlan » Sun May 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Which Plugin exactly from PN?

This is the first time I hear that PN causes noticeable frame drops.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 am

The headshot monitor uses IsSpellTarget, which is broken in vanilla. PN has a lot of broken stuff in it, like the AI tweaks, and those can't be disabled unfortunately.

Extra Options has more issues if you use that, tried to fix it, found some of what caused problems, couldn't find all of it.

There's better mods now, use them instead since the plugin limit isn't an issue any longer.

senegalparrot

Post by senegalparrot » Mon May 18, 2020 5:15 am

If GPUs don't matter, what do you think about 4th gen ryzen cpus that will come out?
Thankfully I use an X570 mobo so I can use them.

Vlan

Post by Vlan » Mon May 18, 2020 6:06 am

RoyBatty wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 am
The headshot monitor uses IsSpellTarget, which is broken in vanilla. PN has a lot of broken stuff in it, like the AI tweaks, and those can't be disabled unfortunately.

Extra Options has more issues if you use that, tried to fix it, found some of what caused problems, couldn't find all of it.

There's better mods now, use them instead since the plugin limit isn't an issue any longer.
Welp. Thanks for the headup. Gotta look into all of that, though it's really fucking hard to imagine not playing Fallout with PN anymore.

Do you by chance know which scripts of PN were fucking up performance? I am reading here that the Rebalance plugin of Extra Options for example seems to be a hard hitter.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Old games like FO3 and FONV are dominated by clock rate and processor IPC. Number of cores makes little to no difference. The biggest issue with processors with tons of cores like Ryzen is that they lower the clock rate to keep heat/power down. This is a big problem for old single-threaded games.

Vlan

Post by Vlan » Tue May 19, 2020 7:27 am

Removing "PN Rebalance Complete" actually fixed my problem!! I wandered from Megaton to Lamplight today, did the whole "Picking up the Trail" quest, with 4k Power Amor textures of Enclave soldiers popping up everywhere, MMM shenanigans here and there, explosions all over my face, 2k landscape textures rendering, and so on, and after I left the Enclave base, I looked up the sky (always do that to see if theres some memory leak or script fuckery going on), and I still got rougly the same amount of fps I had when leaving Megaton, one hour and 30 minutes ago (probably because there was a fight going on). I modded this game for almost six years now, and never realized that this plugin was the problem for all my performance problems.

This actually should be adressed somewhere at Nexus, since, I assume, a lot of people still use PN.

FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty » Tue May 19, 2020 10:37 am

jlf65 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:30 pm
Old games like FO3 and FONV are dominated by clock rate and processor IPC. Number of cores makes little to no difference. The biggest issue with processors with tons of cores like Ryzen is that they lower the clock rate to keep heat/power down. This is a big problem for old single-threaded games.
Actually, with Zen 2, Ryzen's better at the same clocks as any of Intel's xLake CPUs. Intel only wins when superclocked, and the difference is minor. With Zen 3, Ryzen's a no-brainer.

Also, with more cores, Windows 10 can be relegated to a few of them, with New Vegas given essentially dedicated cores.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:50 pm

True, but you're still not going to see any kind of big improvement like people would think from such a new and big processor. The improvements barely counter the lower clock rate, so you see no noticeable improvement in the game. A lot of these old single-threaded games were done when Intel was pushing to 5GHz and telling companies we'd see 10GHz "soon". Instead, 5GHz became almost a hard limit, and they moved to multi-core rather than faster single cores. Skyrim was the first Bethesda game actually making decent use of multi-core processors, with FO4 being even better. Even then, those games can't hold a candle to ones written specifically with multi-core in mind, like Doom 2016. Doom almost perfectly splits the game over every core available. Fallout 4 is really sloppy about core loads in comparison.