Operation Anchorage

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
jlf65

Operation Anchorage

Post by jlf65 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 pm

Is this the shortest DLC, or what? :lol:

I was testing my latest Real Gauss Gun mod and it blew me away how fast I stormed through it... while sneaking and stealth killing everyone. If I just ran to the objectives, I'd bet this DLC could be beat in less than 10 minutes. Anyone know what the speed run record for this DLC is?

EDIT: Looked it up... 14:25. Yeah, it's barely more than just a set of extra resources. :lol:

EDIT 2: That time includes starting from the vault! He doesn't actually get to the Outcast base until 6:20. The actual time in the sim is less than 8 minutes.

Zhunter5000

Re: Operation Anchorage

Post by Zhunter5000 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:30 am

jlf65 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 pm
Is this the shortest DLC, or what? :lol:

I was testing my latest Real Gauss Gun mod and it blew me away how fast I stormed through it... while sneaking and stealth killing everyone. If I just ran to the objectives, I'd bet this DLC could be beat in less than 10 minutes. Anyone know what the speed run record for this DLC is?

EDIT: Looked it up... 14:25. Yeah, it's barely more than just a set of extra resources. :lol:

EDIT 2: That time includes starting from the vault! He doesn't actually get to the Outcast base until 6:20. The actual time in the sim is less than 8 minutes.
Yeah I feel like Anchorage would've been an easy favorite of mine, if it were a bit longer. Usually in my playthroughs I immediately go to anchorage for the power armor, lol.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Zhunter5000 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:30 am
Yeah I feel like Anchorage would've been an easy favorite of mine, if it were a bit longer. Usually in my playthroughs I immediately go to anchorage for the power armor, lol.
Yeah, it's a DLC you can play right out of the vault. If you use a mod to allow wearing power armor, it's a great way to get a fine suit right at the start... and of course, a gauss rifle. With my Real Gauss Rifle mod, it's even possibly the best weapon in the game at that point. 8-)

I generally don't tend to play OA since, 1) it's so short, and 2) the reward isn't worth it if you don't have a power armor mod. The replayability on OA is pretty low. That's why people like that mod that let's you skip the sim and just open the storeroom immediately. Actually doing the sim for the Nth time is a waste of 20-some minutes (not cheating).

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:31 pm

jlf65 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:21 pm
Zhunter5000 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:30 am
Yeah, it's a DLC you can play right out of the vault. If you use a mod to allow wearing power armor, it's a great way to get a fine suit right at the start... and of course, a gauss rifle. With my Real Gauss Rifle mod, it's even possibly the best weapon in the game at that point. 8-)

I generally don't tend to play OA since, 1) it's so short, and 2) the reward isn't worth it if you don't have a power armor mod. The replayability on OA is pretty low. That's why people like that mod that let's you skip the sim and just open the storeroom immediately. Actually doing the sim for the Nth time is a waste of 20-some minutes (not cheating).
Beating Operation Anchorage rewards the player with the Power Armor Training perk. This is vanilla behavior. ;)
Signature:

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:26 pm

Risewild wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:31 pm
Beating Operation Anchorage rewards the player with the Power Armor Training perk. This is vanilla behavior. ;)
:o

I never knew that. Learn something new every day. :lol:

Thanks. I guess I could trim my load order by getting rid of the power armor perk and use OA if I want to wear PA early.

idmfan

Post by idmfan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:05 am

Since this thread is about OA, can I ask two questions?
any good way to deal with the dragoons in the listening post?
besides, how can I save McGraw and Olin both after Sibley's betrayal?

UsagiPyon

Post by UsagiPyon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:28 pm

Anchorage's length was just nice for me because I always finished it with all the challenges done.

As for the Dragoons:
I usually take potshots at the dragoon's estimated location or throw grenades, but that was because I have run it so many times. Of course you can just run with your squad but that will make the kill challenge abit difficult to complete later.

As for saving McGraw and Olin:
I rush into the armory, grab some plasma mines, grenades, alloyed combat shotgun and chinese stealth suit. Then proceed to place the plasma mines away from Sibley but close to the other outcasts (close enough without triggering it) that will turn hostile once Sibley does. Estimate when Sibley will turn hostile after his conversation and start to throw a single grenade to set off the mines. If done right the plasma explosion will not reach Mcgraw which will cause him to turn hostile if it does and some outcasts might be dead. That is when I just run towards Sibley, vats his head with the shotgun and then proceed to finish the surviving outcasts. I was level 7 or 8 building towards guns at the time and with vanilla load order.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:42 pm

I shove Sibley into the Gary room before going into the sim, and put a single bullet in the back of his head. If it doesn't alert the other BoS, then you're good to go.

UsagiPyon

Post by UsagiPyon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:28 pm

lel, never tried pushing him into gary's room. Tried shooting him before he finishes his conversation with McGraw and the whole Outcasts will turn hostile. Trying this when 3.2.3 hits :lol:

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:51 pm

I use grenades to flush out the Dragoons. Also, don't be afraid to break off and run back to the last health station. :lol:

Usually, I'll stand in front of Olin to shield her from fire as she'd just wearing scribe robes. I've never had McGraw need saving given he's in power armor. However, the last time I played through OA, Sibley didn't turn hostile. He gave his little speech to McGraw, then walked off. I waited and waited, then shrugged and left. It's not an official part of the quest, which is over by that point. All you get from helping is experience points for killing and loot off the bodies.