anybody escape sierra madre with 37 gold bars?

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
idmfan

anybody escape sierra madre with 37 gold bars?

Post by idmfan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:55 am

about six years ago, I managed to grab all the gold bars then trap Elijah.
this time, I tried to store all of them into his body and switch to the 3rd vision to grab them. Didn't work.
Had to leave sierra madre without gold, lol

of course a TTW player can get really rich without them, but.....

https://youtu.be/pqIIuGxNfNg

anybody tried this?

jlf65

Re: anybody escape sierra madre with 37 gold bars?

Post by jlf65 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:46 pm

I could never make his old method work, but this new one looks like it shouldn't be too hard. I just find it easier to cheat - I use my Spinach mod so that I'm not over encumbered. :D

Of course, if you don't want to cheat, but don't mind a mod that's not really cheating, I'd suggest iStewieTweaks. There's an option for over-encumbered running uses AP, then keep popping AP boost and regen potions. That's what I mainly do right now - haven't gotten around to updating my Spinach mod, and I might not given this option in iStewieTweaks.

Eddoursul

Post by Eddoursul » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 pm

I did it without cheating, using a different method: sneak behind the pillar, closest to the door, and hide, while Elijah walks down, goes pass you and turns left to the vault. All this time you keep moving around the pillar to stay fully hidden, this is the most important part. I did not even use Stealth Boy or GRX. Once Elijah turns left to vault and makes a couple of steps, you stand up and make a run (figuratively speaking :lol: ) to the door.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Eddoursul wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 pm
I did it without cheating, using a different method: sneak behind the pillar, closest to the door, and hide, while Elijah walks down, goes pass you and turns left to the vault. All this time you keep moving around the pillar to stay fully hidden, this is the most important part. I did not even use Stealth Boy or GRX. Once Elijah turns left to vault and makes a couple of steps, you stand up and make a run (figuratively speaking :lol: ) to the door.
That was the old method. It's very hard to stay hidden without 100 sneak and Stealthboy. I could never do it. It also means you don't get all Elijah's stuff. The new method in the video gives you all his stuff in addition to the gold.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:58 am

idmfan wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:55 am
about six years ago, I managed to grab all the gold bars then trap Elijah.
this time, I tried to store all of them into his body and switch to the 3rd vision to grab them. Didn't work.
Had to leave sierra madre without gold, lol

of course a TTW player can get really rich without them, but.....

https://youtu.be/pqIIuGxNfNg

anybody tried this?
I will make a note here that this method no longer work. unsure if it's a change in TTW or something. But it's not working. ALSO, the video's player seem to have something... possibly Travel Light, or some mod that increase his speed. Note his movement on a straight line is faster than how I would feel. And how Elijah dont show HP in the VATS moment. (I smell a big smelly rat.)

Elijah shut off the forcefield and 0.5-1.0 sec later he jump down the short stair. ALSO, if he has spare time to run his script, you are going to get hit once with gauss rifle's knocked down effect. You just dont have the leisure or free hands to run up to push him to the forcefield.

Even if you VATS him and kill in 1st burst, something pretty hard because he's has high HP, his corpse fly back and hit the forcefield, stay totally this side. And it seem to have one or two explosions on his corpse designed to hit him flying. IN lucky case, the corpse would be on the rail where you can get at it.

So no, this video is false advertisement~

So yeah, legggggo~

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:41 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:58 am
Even if you VATS him and kill in 1st burst, something pretty hard because he's has high HP, his corpse fly back and hit the forcefield, stay totally this side. And it seem to have one or two explosions on his corpse designed to hit him flying. IN lucky case, the corpse would be on the rail where you can get at it.
Sounds like maybe ragdolls. A lot of people use that and don't think about it. It's the difference between dead bodies going flying, and just slumping to the ground.

camco3d

Post by camco3d » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:15 pm

Just did this the other day with no mod help but i did use the 3rd person cheat where you can interact through the blue barriers, i just dropped all the gold bars as close to the blue barrier (not the on elijah is at) and grabbed them through the barrier by turning the camera in 3rd person to grab through the barrier. it took lots of save scumming also.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:25 am

jlf65 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:41 pm
Laclongquan wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:58 am
Sounds like maybe ragdolls. A lot of people use that and don't think about it. It's the difference between dead bodies going flying, and just slumping to the ground.
Yeah, I did install ragdolls~ So maybe that's why.

BUT. That doesnt explain his jump from the doorway down one flight of stair to the ground. Or his stunning gauss rifle hit. The latter probabbly can be do away, simply by making him no spare time to fire scripts. But the former is practically unsolved.

Say, a burst of auto rifle. IF first hit (in 1st burst) doesnt kill him outright, (which is possible one time but the explosion center on his corpse send him flying god know where), the 2nd and 3rd hit seem to meet him when he's a few feet off the doorway.

EDIT: and of all the moves, the one to send the corpse nearing forcefield so that one part of body can be reached THROUGH the field is critical. The speed of the run probabbly can be explained away (but I still doubt because too fast), but the said bug is essential.
EDIT: second run, I check with VATS and voila: no way in hell. Old man is set to be invicible before turning off the force field, so even if you can manage an unblocked shot (hunting rifle with JSP bullet), he's unharmed. And the second he turn off the fields, the next second he was pushed slightly forward with the field turning on before he even move. NOT A CHANCE IN HELL can he be killed right next to the fields as displayed by the video. EVEN IF he's dead by 1st shot (hunting rifle, jsp bullet, full range of chem buffs just for that shot) he's still on this side of the fields and various explosions designed to knock his corpse out and around.
Last edited by Laclongquan on Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:06 pm

Yeah, there's a lot more going on there than is described, plus doing what is described is hard in any case. Several commentators have noted they had to try this dozens of times to actually get it to work. One claimed 80 tries. Who knows - maybe the video was the poster's 167th try. :lol: Speed runners will do runs hundreds of times for just that one perfect run, and this seems more like speed running than anything else.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:31 am

Its a bug in the engine, the lower level you are the easier it is to sneak past Elijah, asked for a code fix, hopefully it's done soon.

Problem is Obsidian added a sneak bonus for level differences, but the code doesn't work as intended.