Cooking in FO3?

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
Laclongquan

Re: Cooking in FO3?

Post by Laclongquan » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:55 am

I know that place.

The issue is not the lack of fireplace to cook, because yeah, they are plenty and everywhere.

The issue is the lack of fireplace in OBVIOUS places where people would think to check, and in early game area. The 1st obvious place is Megaton and nothing in there until after the disarming the bomb.

Actually, the first obvious would be Springvale, most likely Silver place. And if you are going to add, might as well add one or two to the intact fireplaces in the ruined house in Springvale.

The second obvious place to check would be Rivet City and luckily Gary's galley has one blackdome grill in the market.
----
This is an important issue because fireplace cooking is a very much integral part of FNV experience. If you start to play an FNV game, this should be the 1st feature we check.

Death_Reaper56

Post by Death_Reaper56 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:13 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:55 am
I know that place.

The issue is not the lack of fireplace to cook, because yeah, they are plenty and everywhere.

The issue is the lack of fireplace in OBVIOUS places where people would think to check, and in early game area. The 1st obvious place is Megaton and nothing in there until after the disarming the bomb.

Actually, the first obvious would be Springvale, most likely Silver place. And if you are going to add, might as well add one or two to the intact fireplaces in the ruined house in Springvale.

The second obvious place to check would be Rivet City and luckily Gary's galley has one blackdome grill in the market.
----
This is an important issue because fireplace cooking is a very much integral part of FNV experience. If you start to play an FNV game, this should be the 1st feature we check.
No,it shouldnt. Not everyone cares for hardcore and cooking food's. There are far more important things to care about then this.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:32 pm

You are not caring for Hardcore?
Words fail me. Next thing you will say you only play on easy difficulty, too?

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:25 pm

I rarely ever do any cooking. It's too easy to find food, and unless I'm in hardcore mode, I normally "live" on stimpaks alone. :lol: When I'm in hardcore mode, I'll stop at a diner or merchant every day or two and trade ammo for food/water. Maybe you like to "rough it" and make all your own food and filter your own water - I'm too busy trying to nuke deathclaws. :twisted:

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:26 am

@_@ Words still fail me

You can cook not only foods, but chem there. or poisons.

Dont tell me you dont know you can make rocket +AP, or rushing water increase speed of attack.

And you can make 4 types of poisons, which then can be used on darts, to be used on heavily armored, heavily resistant targets.

The only way for you to NOT use those items is because you dont need to. Which only mean easy difficulty.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 am

I play hardcore, with bleed, very hard and sawyerbatty. I never cook food, it's everywhere.

There's no cooking places around the two player homes because that makes the upgrade useless. It's like that to make you WANT to buy it. :)

on another note, I'm working on finishing UHC (Ultra Hard Core (TM)) which will enhance TTW further into more of a survival RPG when 3.3 drops.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:32 am

Ultra Hardcore should triple the speed of H20/Food/SLP needs' increase. Otherwise you still dont feel the damn thing needy enough to cook.

In fact, it's only with Defaults: Thirst 10, Hunger 25, Sleep 50.
I have to change
iDehydrationRate=5
iStarvationRate=10
iExhaustionRate=20

So I can feel the hunger enough to eat regularly, thus cook regularly. At normal sawyerbatty speed you eat once a day, drink twice, sleep 1 hour every 8 hours~ At my speed you have the reflex to drink at every faucet (rad 2) just so you dont waste purified water. Eat is pretty regularly since we buy a bunch of cheap foods for that. Cooked food? That's for combat buff and healing.
======
On topic of extra fireplace, it's not useless. Even if I dont use it often (because using minihideout and adding extra grills there), I still buy Megaton hotplate because what if I feel the need to cook right now instead of walking ten more steps and fast travel there? I did feel the need two or three times during my recent stint. And what's about bottlecap? What's about it? Who would not have tens of thousands in their inventory?

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Jericho makes cooking campfires at will.
There's not really much incentive to add more cooking places around the wasteland, it would just make it so Jericho companion perk would be useless. :shock:
Signature:

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:25 pm

UHC will be balanced how I want based on my experience.

Thanks for ideas, some I like, some I don't. Lots of things sound nice in writing, but don't work in the game. They don't really serve a purpose or are just plain OP/Exploitable, or trivialize things. It's a lot of testing to balance properly.

3.3's economy is no longer broken (until late game), and the balance is also redone.

Jannick

Post by Jannick » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:44 am

RoyBatty wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:04 pm
You can use the black domed grills too, they are everywhere. The closest place to cook is the campground due west of megaton down the hill from the barn.
Yep, agreed