Never played FO3 or NV Should I start with this?

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
Samiam_Jr

Never played FO3 or NV Should I start with this?

Post by Samiam_Jr » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:20 pm

As title says. I haven't played FO3 or NV. I love the FO series, am thoroughly enjoying FO4, I enjoy FO76, and I just got these two games. I am wondering what y'all's opinion is on what to try, FO3 Modded or FO3 TTW + some mods. Does TTW hinder FO3 at all? Mess with the story?
Thanks!

RoyBatty

Re: Never played FO3 or NV Should I start with this?

Post by RoyBatty » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:48 pm

TTW, Fallout 3 is fully implemented with all of NV's mechanics and a much more stable engine.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:05 am

I can't really play FO3 without TTW anymore. It just feels clunky and more basic.
Not to mention what Roy already said, TTW makes it more stable too.
Signature:

Death_Reaper56

Post by Death_Reaper56 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:20 am

I'd say no.I honestly think you should play both by themselfs without TTW so you can appreciate what both games do mechanically and gameplay wise.

Ryuzuria

Post by Ryuzuria » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:57 pm

personally i played both once at least to be able to just play, both modded heavily, then switched to ttw and have been playing that since.

4891$$

Post by 4891$$ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Samiam_Jr wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:20 pm
As title says. I haven't played FO3 or NV. I love the FO series, am thoroughly enjoying FO4, I enjoy FO76, and I just got these two games. I am wondering what y'all's opinion is on what to try, FO3 Modded or FO3 TTW + some mods. Does TTW hinder FO3 at all? Mess with the story?
Thanks!
Honestly you might as well just start playing with TTW. Yeah, the game mechanics of NV which TTW uses although tweaked to make it feel more like Fallout 3 in DC is still not the same. DT(damage threshold) doesn't exist in Fallout 3 so low level weapons still do damage even if you are in enclave hellfire armor since Fallout 3 uses DR(damage reduction) instead. Getting to New Vegas above level 30 makes New Vegas beyond easy...you can literally walk right through deathclaw territory with your fatman, A3-21 Plasma Rifle and various other goodies you get in DC making the whole stupid loop around the world map the new vegas devs try to force you to do pointless.

Decker

Post by Decker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:47 pm

I would recommend TTW over vanilla F3, definitely, any day of the week.. IMHO, I would only ever play with the older F3 engine for specific few mods which do not convert into TTW like the Mothership Zeta Crew.

As for approaching the NV side of TTW, either use a mod to confiscate your equipment for later retrieval (dunno if such exists for TTW 3.2 version yet), or do what I did; Simply dump all of your usual overpowered F3 acquired gear into the F3 to FNV train passenger carriages locker (six lockers IIRC are available there) before pulling the switch on the train engine; perhaps leave something like only your favorite set of light clothing, a knife and a concealabe pistol on your character - Frex only have items which a somewhat careless robber in a hurry might miss on your person - Without spoiling anything much, your character will be going on a several years long journey and a very special assignment in a disguise when you pull that lever inside the train engine, after all - Only having discreet wearables, limited amount of bottlecaps and concealable items would make a certain kind of sense at that journeys end and the beginning of the FNV.

You can later retrieve your F3 gear from the passenger cars locker in FNV, once you finally manage to reach Freeside. At least this worked for me, everything was in the locker in FNV just as I left it in DC. Having severe equipment shortage/limitations (even if they are self-inflicted) in the beginning of FNV simply makes sense, makes the gameplay better and you might actually have a valid reason to take the loop via Primm instead of going straight through cazadores and deathclaws, perhaps even do the tutorial parts to get some locally acquired gear like a varmint rifle.