Looking for Advice

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
the dark lard

Looking for Advice

Post by the dark lard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:55 am

For years I've had an idea for a Fallout 3 quest mod, and I have some amount of time to make it (hopefully). I'd like to make it for TTW, but given the tenuous nature of the existence of such mods (like Fallout 4 Capital Wasteland) I don't know if I should make a the mod for Fallout 3 first, (so I'd have an F3 version in case something happens to TTW) then convert it to TTW, or just make it in TTW completely. Which do you folks think would be better?

jlf65

TTW prides itself by staying

Post by jlf65 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:52 pm

TTW prides itself by staying in the rules, so it shouldn't have an issue with getting taken down. Even the mods posted here require showing you have permission if you used someone else's assets. FO4 CW had an issue because they wanted to include pre-processed data (the voices) from FO3 instead of making the user do the processing themselves as part of the installation.

Mystical Panda

On a quick note, I think the

Post by Mystical Panda » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:24 am

On a quick note, I think the only things you'll need to consider are the quest (or other) scripts themselves, since I'm fairly certain the 'conversion' script in xEdit doesn't handle that; it just renames references and things of that nature. For the scripts, if your going to reference F03 items that have a reference change in TTW you'll need to be aware of those- manually change and recompile them in a TTW patch.

So technically, it could be for both F03 and TTW. Working first in F03, passed through the convesion script and any other changes made, then uploaded as a separate TTW patch or mod.