Clarification on Not Cleaning Dirty Edits

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
VaultBoy4000

Clarification on Not Cleaning Dirty Edits

Post by VaultBoy4000 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm installing TTW for the first time and had to redownload vanilla versions of both games from Steam and have a few questions.  I always clean the base and DLC .esms before adding mods or trying to play the game.  However, I read on the TTW install page somewhere that you shouldn't clean the esms and esps as TTW needs the information in these. I was wondering if this only applied to the mods you add after TTW is installed? Or to the base game esms as well?  i.e. should I just leave the FO3 and FONV vanilla DLC esms as they and just install TTW without cleaning them first?

Also once TTW installs, is it safe to clean them afterwards? Or just leave the game/DLC .esms as they are?  What about other mod overhauls which have global effects (like NMC texture pack, PN etc). If the author says it's safe to clean these, then can we do so if they have dirty edits? The only exception to a major overhaul mod I've seen so far is Vurt's Flora Overahul where you explicitly aren't supposed to do so.

Final question: merging the TTW optional mods is forbidden. But would it be possible to create a merged patch for all other non TTW mods? I was hoping to install mods like CRAFT, WMX etc. which share vendor lists/game resources like the workbench etc. If a merged patch isn't feasible, then does TTW have the capability to coordinate mods the way FWE did in FO3?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thermador

Don't clean either of the

Post by thermador » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Don't clean either of the base games (FNV or FO3), period. Don't clean TTWs .esm file or optional mods, period. Feel free to clean anything else you want. Do not merge base game files and/or TTW files together, period. Feel free to create a merged patch in FNVedit however you want - in many cases a merged patch is required to get mods (outside of the base games and TTW) to work together properly.

VaultBoy4000

Thank you for the quick

Post by VaultBoy4000 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Thank you for the quick follow up.  3 final questions:

1. Since TTW uses FONV engine, then the mods and/or TTW  compatibility patches for either game need to go in that specific game folder? For example, I was using YUP for FONV. But I'll be using the recommended TTW replacement patch instead of YUP. This TTW verison of the unofficial patch should go in the FONV folder right?  

2. What about other non TTW mods like a needs system mod?  I was using PN for stand alone version of FONV (to use the enhancements to FONV needs system) and FWE for FO3 (so I could use the integrated RI needs system).  If I were to add a food plugin like More Food for FO3, then this plugin would go in the FO3 folder right? Also the necessary FWE compatibility patch would also need to go in the FO3 game folder (and any TTW-FWE compatibility patches as well)?

3. How does TTW deal with incompatible global mods i.e. a weather mod system like Fellout (for FO3) and Nevada Skies (for FONV) ?  Does TTW switch off one weather mod when you travel to the other game? 

4. TTW  should work in allowing you to switch between games, provided your total esm and esps remain under the 140 esm+esp limit for the FO3 & FONV folders seperately?

AnvilOfWar

I'll follow those up:

Post by AnvilOfWar » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:10 pm

I'll follow those up:

• Yes, TTW is a New Vegas mod, use the TTW fixes instead of YUP as fixes is basically YUP + other TTW specific fixes for both games.

• Project Nevada is compatible right out of the box with TTW, although some features will not translate over to FO3 weapons without a compatibity patch. There are a few patches on the site, the Thachor/Puppetron patch is the most recently updated one.

• Weather mods are already available for TTW, there are a few different versions made specifically for TTW and cover both wastelands. My person suggestion is try "Realistic Wasteland Lighting" which is on the forums here. There is also an "Realistic Wasteland Lighting Enhanced" by the same author, which adds weathers to both wastelands.

• Yes, the 140~ esm/esp limit is the max, although I highly suggest keeping it down much farther then that, it will allow people to help diagonse any problems you may have easier.

TrickyVein

Just to be clear, you can

Post by TrickyVein » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Just to be clear, you can forget completely about your Fallout 3 install after installing TTW. Delete it from your system if you wish. It has absolutely nothing to do with playing TTW. Just like for any other mod for NV. This is because TTW is a mod for NV.

Instead, Fallout 3 mods have to be converted to work properly with TTW.

Gribbleshnibit8

Though uninstalling Fallout 3

Post by Gribbleshnibit8 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Though uninstalling Fallout 3 isn't really suggested unless you just don't have the space for it, since you need it whenever you update TTW.

Risewild

Handy link for most questions

Post by Risewild » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:42 pm

Signature:

DBZWarrior360

Re: Clarification on Not Cleaning Dirty Edits

Post by DBZWarrior360 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:14 pm

Can we clean the Fallout New Vegas DLC at least? Dead Money, Old World Blues, GRA, that sort of thing?

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:56 pm

DBZWarrior360 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:14 pm
Can we clean the Fallout New Vegas DLC at least? Dead Money, Old World Blues, GRA, that sort of thing?
Don't clean anything. This isn't Skyrim. Leave them alone.
Produces the programming equivalent of coffee stains.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:44 pm

3.3 will already have them "clean", and no don't touch them.