New Vegas 'Type' Content in Fallout 3

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
angrychimp

New Vegas 'Type' Content in Fallout 3

Post by angrychimp » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:45 pm

I am just now starting to understand how this all works. I had a little discussion on content from NV being imported to FO3 such as weapons and armor and the like. One of the things that left some unanswered questions was mention of mods that add 'importers' that would bring ingredients from NV in.

I tend to be a stickler for lore friendliness. Frankly I just cant see anyone wanting to try and import perishable foods from the south west all the way to the far east. It just isnt realistic... Im really deep on survivalism. I love all the new elements in NV but for it to work there needs to be ingredient equivalents native to DC. If the lore is simply that DC is too hostile an environment for anything to grow in the wild, then so be it, but I am just annoyed at the idea of adding in things that dont belong.

There should always be some kind of allowances. If these kinds of things already exist in TTW then great, if not, are there any mods that would help balance this?

I have a thought in mind for creating the ideal complete fallout experience, the notion of carrying a FO3 character to NV was the thing that brought me here. I want to find a way to make everything about fallout complete and as in depth as possible. I think of road warrior and all the other post apocalypse stuff out there and all the little bitty details that really matter in this kind of environment.

My problem is that I just dont know enough about TTW and I dont feel like scanning thousands of pages to find out :x

jlf65

Re: New Vegas 'Type' Content in Fallout 3

Post by jlf65 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:03 pm

Frankly, people usually want more added, not taken away. :D As to "fresh" foodstuffs, given how long Fallout food lasts (unless you're playing FO76), I think Fallout preservatives are much more advanced than our own. Not to mention, in TTW, there's a working train running between DC and New Vegas, so you'd expect it to be primarily concerned with trade, especially things you can't get in either location. Things like Mojave foodstuff in DC, or vice versa. Weapons would also be another primary trade item. So while a train between the two might not be 100% lore friendly, it's key to TTW, and therefore, the mix of things in both places is to be expected.

angrychimp

Post by angrychimp » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 pm

jlf65 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:03 pm
Frankly, people usually want more added, not taken away. :D As to "fresh" foodstuffs, given how long Fallout food lasts (unless you're playing FO76), I think Fallout preservatives are much more advanced than our own. Not to mention, in TTW, there's a working train running between DC and New Vegas, so you'd expect it to be primarily concerned with trade, especially things you can't get in either location. Things like Mojave foodstuff in DC, or vice versa. Weapons would also be another primary trade item. So while a train between the two might not be 100% lore friendly, it's key to TTW, and therefore, the mix of things in both places is to be expected.
Meh, if anything I see the train just as an excuse rather than trying to be lore friendly. I suppose it could work to a measured degree if were just being practical. But again, are there any local plants and things to gather in DC?

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:58 am

angrychimp wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 pm
But again, are there any local plants and things to gather in DC?
Yes there are. :)

We added these new Harvestable plants:
  • Mutfruit plant
  • Crunchy Mutfruit plant
  • Potato plant
  • Carrot plant
  • Apple tree
  • Pear tree
  • Brain fungus
  • Glowing mushroom
The "fresh food" (potato, carrot, apple and pear) can only be found in a place that would make some sense, lore-wise.
We also added maize plants to the Capital Wasteland. They can be found (sparsely) near old pre-war farms or in some settlements (only one settlement has more than usual). And some Flour was also added to the Capital Wasteland, to help with some recipes.

The Capital Wasteland also has other food/ingredients you could already find in vanilla Fallout 3, and TTW does make use of that by creating recipes that use those things (stuff like the meat from bloatflys, mirelurks, ants, fire ants, dogs, radroaches, yao guais and even Centaur Blood :o ).
We also made some recipes for Fallout 3 DLC ingredients. Like Mothership Zeta Alien Food (Alien Worm, Alien Squid) and Punga Fruit.

These are the recipes added to TTW:
  • Mutfruit Marinade
  • Centaur Sangria
  • Wasteland Hot Dog
  • Brain Freeze
  • Mirelurk Special
  • Brain Food
  • Nukalurk Sushi
  • Spicy Quantum Sauce
  • Spicy Nukalurk Roll
  • Yao Guai Medallions
  • Mole Rat Steak
  • Fire Ant Bits
  • Ant Bits
  • Fire Ant Nog
  • Ant Nog
  • Bloatfly Smoothie
  • Steamed Radroach
  • Mirelurk Cakes
  • Steamed Mirelurk
  • Mirelurk Thermador
  • Startencle
  • Out Of This World Pie
The Capital Wasteland is also more urban than the Mojave Desert, so it can be possible to survive eating pre-war food, since there is plenty of that in Fallout 3. But who would want to eat those old things when they now have so many options to cook their own food? :lol:
Signature:

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:53 am

The problem I have with cooking my own food is all my early points are going into things that will keep me alive, like guns and sneak and repair, not survival. And you need a BUNCH of points in survival to make almost anything. It's the same issue as FONV - I never cook anything because I can't spare the points. Between caps and guns and ammo taken off dead bodies, it's just easier to kill (which gets you more experience to earn more points) and then buy food than to learn to cook. The one area I felt was completely unbalanced in FONV was the survival/cooking levels. I tend to stick in FONV mods that make it easier to cook at lower levels. There's one that lets you roast most meats for basic food at a really low survival level that's good.

angrychimp

Post by angrychimp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:33 pm

jlf65 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:53 am
The problem I have with cooking my own food is all my early points are going into things that will keep me alive, like guns and sneak and repair, not survival. And you need a BUNCH of points in survival to make almost anything. It's the same issue as FONV - I never cook anything because I can't spare the points. Between caps and guns and ammo taken off dead bodies, it's just easier to kill (which gets you more experience to earn more points) and then buy food than to learn to cook. The one area I felt was completely unbalanced in FONV was the survival/cooking levels. I tend to stick in FONV mods that make it easier to cook at lower levels. There's one that lets you roast most meats for basic food at a really low survival level that's good.
Logically cooking shouldnt be a thing that needs a lot of skill. Making high quality food would... I could see a thing where you can cook anything right away but have a more diminished return until the skill gets better. Like really high skill could get you some mild buffs from cooking.

I would want a mod that could do that.

angrychimp

Post by angrychimp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:39 pm

Risewild wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:58 am
angrychimp wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 pm
But again, are there any local plants and things to gather in DC?
Yes there are. :)

We added these new Harvestable plants:
  • Mutfruit plant
  • Crunchy Mutfruit plant
  • Potato plant
  • Carrot plant
  • Apple tree
  • Pear tree
  • Brain fungus
  • Glowing mushroom
The "fresh food" (potato, carrot, apple and pear) can only be found in a place that would make some sense, lore-wise.
We also added maize plants to the Capital Wasteland. They can be found (sparsely) near old pre-war farms or in some settlements (only one settlement has more than usual). And some Flour was also added to the Capital Wasteland, to help with some recipes.

The Capital Wasteland also has other food/ingredients you could already find in vanilla Fallout 3, and TTW does make use of that by creating recipes that use those things (stuff like the meat from bloatflys, mirelurks, ants, fire ants, dogs, radroaches, yao guais and even Centaur Blood :o ).
We also made some recipes for Fallout 3 DLC ingredients. Like Mothership Zeta Alien Food (Alien Worm, Alien Squid) and Punga Fruit.

These are the recipes added to TTW:
  • Mutfruit Marinade
  • Centaur Sangria
  • Wasteland Hot Dog
  • Brain Freeze
  • Mirelurk Special
  • Brain Food
  • Nukalurk Sushi
  • Spicy Quantum Sauce
  • Spicy Nukalurk Roll
  • Yao Guai Medallions
  • Mole Rat Steak
  • Fire Ant Bits
  • Ant Bits
  • Fire Ant Nog
  • Ant Nog
  • Bloatfly Smoothie
  • Steamed Radroach
  • Mirelurk Cakes
  • Steamed Mirelurk
  • Mirelurk Thermador
  • Startencle
  • Out Of This World Pie
The Capital Wasteland is also more urban than the Mojave Desert, so it can be possible to survive eating pre-war food, since there is plenty of that in Fallout 3. But who would want to eat those old things when they now have so many options to cook their own food? :lol:
No root plants? :o This is virginia after all... :evil:

I suppose if we do rationalize. Having this train system would make it possible to import. But at the same time Caesars legion might have a presence in the east if commerce is connected that way. There are lots of other implications to consider when making things fit together like this.

If we rationalize, we could say that the capital wasteland now has a similar ecology as the mojave assuming winters arent overly cold it could make sense that someone transplanted mojave goodies that spread across the region. That could make some kind of sense... I dont remember, was rain a thing in NV? It could make sense maybe.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:37 am

The train thing could make sense if the player starts in the Mojave Wasteland (since they can access the train without a problem and just travel to the Capital Wasteland), but doesn't make sense if the player starts in the Capital Wasteland. Because the train station is in "lockdown security" mode since the bombs fell, and the player will have to fix the station's generator and deactivate the lockdown system to be able to reach the actual train.

Since it's in lockdown, people from the Mojave can't really come through the metal security doors, and since the station is inhabited by Super Mutants, I doubt the average wastelander or trader could survive past those doors anyway. :shock:

We didn't really added new harvesteables that were not already represented in the Fallout 3 and New Vegas games. We made new plants so the player could harvest ingredients already in Fallout 3 (Mutfruit, Crunchy Mutfruit, Potato, Carrot, Apple and Pear) and we made ingredients for two things that were already in Fallout 3 but only as scenery (Brain Fungus and Glowing Mushroom), and yes, Bethesda implemented a Brain Fungus harvesteable plant in Fallout 4 after TTW did it (I like to think they got inspired by us, but it also serves to confirm in the official Fallout lore that Brain Fungus is indeed harvesteable :geek: ).
This was made so we don't really introduce new things that don't exist in the games already, we always try to limit "feature creep" or "made up" lore in TTW. When we have to do it, we still use stuff already present in both games instead of making our own stuff without "evidence" presented in the Fallout games for why those things were added.

Fallout New Vegas doesn't have rain except in the Zion region (from the Honest Hearts DLC).
Signature:

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:01 pm

The lock-down being from since the war makes the train a bit more difficult to explain. It would be better if the super mutants tripped the lock-down recently. That would make more sense in having a working train between the two games. I think all cross country trails in Fallout go more north before going east-west rather than running along the south. Possibly because of the Legion. I seem to remember a lore map showing routes going through Chicago, for example. Now there would be an interesting place for another Fallout game. Fallout Chicago. Or maybe Buffalo/Toronto.

angrychimp

Post by angrychimp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:31 pm

jlf65 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:01 pm
The lock-down being from since the war makes the train a bit more difficult to explain. It would be better if the super mutants tripped the lock-down recently. That would make more sense in having a working train between the two games. I think all cross country trails in Fallout go more north before going east-west rather than running along the south. Possibly because of the Legion. I seem to remember a lore map showing routes going through Chicago, for example. Now there would be an interesting place for another Fallout game. Fallout Chicago. Or maybe Buffalo/Toronto.
Too bad we will never know... It seems future fallout is dead...