Redundant reload speed fix

Have something to say about Tale of Two Wastelands or have an idea for a new feature? Let us know here.
aitch-zed

Redundant reload speed fix

Post by aitch-zed » Sun May 17, 2020 6:33 pm

In the current TTW version there is integrated reload speed fix which is made obsolete by https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/67069, also is included into lStewieAl's Tweaks.
I suggest removing it entirely in the next TTW update since it's pretty annoying that it constantly reequips your weapon on the save load, this also resets current ammo count which is pretty critical if you play with tweaks like manual reload / remember ammo count between weapons.

For the time being I disabled it for myself, if anyone needs it here is the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fTN9Ps ... Y7kxzMqUsl.
Only compatible with TTW 3.2.2.

On a side note, I would like to know why my weapon fixes (HeroinZero's Weapon Fixes) are listed as incompatible.
At first I thought that all animation bugs are fixed now but it's not the case, per-bullet reload still glitches out on the move and loop-sound type weapons still as buggy as they were (however Stewie's tweaks partially address that).
I think my Reload Animation Fix and Automatic Weapons Fix mods are still relevant and compatible, especially considering that they're entirely script based.

RoyBatty
Gary

Re: Redundant reload speed fix

Post by RoyBatty » Sun May 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Please read the development notes before making suggestions. It was removed and added to our dll months and months ago (it will not conflict or be redundant with Stewies Tweaks).

They are listed as incompatible because we rather fix engine bugs in the engine. Also our animations are altered already, and your edits revert other fixes we've done or added. They will be fixed eventually, in fact I'm thinking of trying to poke at that now since people keep bringing it up. Also making the spin up/down shorter massively affects balance and DPS values, which I disagree with as I've gone to great lengths to balance this game in the last year. Last I checked it also caused the flamers to break. There's also the issue with the up/down looking in third person with the minigun that is straight up broken in the NV animations.

TTW is a total conversion mod, it's not an NV mod. We'll be adding new weapons and stuff too when I have time to model them to re-introduce big guns. Hitman and I've also done a great many fixes to broken things in animations, Jam has added things for the Cryolator, and more is to come. It's just not going to be compatible with edits in general.

aitch-zed

Post by aitch-zed » Sun May 17, 2020 6:50 pm

RoyBatty wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:43 pm
Please read the development notes before making suggestions. It was removed and added to our dll months and months ago (it will not conflict or be redundant with Stewies Tweaks).
OK, that's nice, sorry to bother.

Though I still would like to know why my fixes are considered incompatible.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Sun May 17, 2020 6:51 pm

I edited my post.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Sun May 17, 2020 6:58 pm

Easier to talk about these things on the discord btw...

aitch-zed

Post by aitch-zed » Sun May 17, 2020 7:50 pm

RoyBatty wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:51 pm
I edited my post.
My [separate] fixes contain no animation/mesh changes, just a few simple scripts.
If someday you or somebody else will manage to fix it in a more natural way I will be very glad, but currently there is no better solution, especially for per-bullet reload type guns.

Reload Animation Fix fixes glitchy running animation by disabling movement controls for 1 frame after reloading animation ends, as demonstrated in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnh2PG-D15A
JustSprint uses the exact same way to fix having no footsteps sounds after playing its fake sprinting animation, but as opposed to my mod it's listed as Recommended.

In 3rd person RAFix additionally forces the player to play fake pumping/cocking animation (actually an attack animation, already in the game), but IMO it looks pretty smooth and is still way less hacky than, for example having to re-equip a weapon on every save load :)

I know about glitchy 3rd person aiming with vanilla NV minigun animation, I released my long windup restoration mod (just unused vanilla assets, actually) back in 2017, when TTW still used short spin-up animation, when I started to use 3.2.2 I was glad to see the long windup restored by default.

AWFix affects no balance and doesn't reset minigun animations back to vanilla NV, I simply provide different sound files for users of both short and long minigun windup, it can be used with any. It is mostly just shortened sound files, really, especially considering latest Stewie's Tweaks changes.

If used w/o Stewie's Tweaks it'll also apply a small (500 ms or less) delay when the player lets go of an attack button to prevent him from being able to break the sound, but it's hardly noticeable.
And for flamers, actually I even made a separate sound file to support insta-firing flamers from Fallout 3 and everything is smooth for me so IDK.

In the future, will there be an option to still use NV-style skills (no Big Guns)?
Honestly I think the New Vegas way of separating weapon skills by projectile type is way better that separate Big Guns category in Fallout 3, it just makes more sense from IRL perspective and there's no need to make some big guns intentionally weak like Minigun in F3.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Mon May 18, 2020 4:56 am

OK I must have misunderstood, and I thought it was replacing animations. I'll take it off the incompatible list since I don't think it would break anything.

I wasn't aware of your windup fix, that's cool. That got put back in when I was fixing the reload sounds (split them up into multiple files) for rapid reload and when I was working on the weapon fixes (still not done) because they changed or hijacked some of the anims and sounds, so I had to address that like the .32 pistol was hijacked for the flare gun, the LAER had been moved to the wrong animation set and they destroyed the model in the process, the alien weapons had various issues too. Never ends with this game, lol.

As for Big Guns, no, not making optional anything anymore, it will be what it is. Traditionally Big Guns were always end game, and I disagree that because you can shoot a .22 pistol that you can handle a Minigun, M2 Machine gun, BAR, AMR nor because you know how to lay a mine or throw a grenade that you can use a Rocket Launcher or a Fatman. But we'll be incorporating weapons from F1/F2/Tactics and I might nab the bowling ball gun idea from F4 as another tier 0 craftable weapon like the Rock-it Launcher to both fill out Big Guns and also to fill out the holes left in the other skill tiers when things are moved back into Big Guns. Also it increases role playing (my prime reason for wanting to do so), I'm not a fan of IRL reasoning in my games, it's just not balanced well and limits builds too much. Same as I dislike how they nerfed the crap out of Energy Weapons (which I'm also addressing). I think New Vegas put far too much focus on trying to be an FPS, instead of being an RPG with shooter mechanics, and I dislike 4 even more for going that route. I've got a really good handle on balancing now, so I'll make sure that weapons even when low tiers will have weapon mods to keep them viable for at least 2 more tiers the same as Vegas is setup already. There also has to be necessary low level ammo dump/NPC weapons. Not every weapon in the game is meant to be used as a viable weapon, some are there to fill that specific low level role and be ditched for better stuff later. For example, I will make the Chauchat a tier 0 or 1 Big Gun.

That said people can just mod it out if they don't like it, it won't be hard to do. I have a vision for TTW to be the ultimate Fallout game, and I want to make it such. Darth won't let me do what I want to do with Hardcore mode (F3 Repair, F3 Weapon Degradation, Chems have weight, less skill points, less special points, stiffer HC penalties). We've already gone ahead and rebalanced the economy and armor. This is has all been outlined in the "Where is TTW going" thread. Also, it will be more than a year before Big Guns makes a return, I have to model everything and Jam has to animate anything that doesn't already have animations.

aitch-zed

Post by aitch-zed » Mon May 18, 2020 2:17 pm

I'm glad you've listened to my reasoning :) You've probably got confused because there is a FOMOD compilation of my mods made by axonis which also contain the long windup restoration along with an ancient Riot Shotgun Shell Casing Fix which is overwrites TTW changes.
Now that I think about, maybe you should keep it in the list but specify that separate fixes are fine?

That's a huge job you've done with fixing vanilla meshes/animations, I especially appreciate corrected aiming node position, accurate iron sights are critical part of a smooth gunplay, but for some reason Obsidian left it in such a mess.
IMO another glaring issue with vanilla weapon animations is inconsistent recoil, some guns don't have recoil at all when they should, some only have it when aiming down sights and vice versa, when I actually played the game back in 2017 I fixed this by completely removing recoil from all animation files and using scripted recoil implementation instead, it was a better experience.

As for Big Guns I guess it's a question of perspective, for me it makes a perfect sense that Guns newbie will start with a .22 pistol and end up mastering something big (but still ballistic), but if weaker big guns will be like the Chauchat (I googled it, what a joke of a weapon, 250 rpm & constant jams), it may still be OK.
In case of modding it out, switching weapon skills back to vanilla with a script won't be hard that's for sure but what I'm worried about is UI entries & NPCs with specialization on this skill.

I guess I share your vision about difficulty levels, I'm using F3 repair tweak from JIP LN plugin, self made plugin named exactly "hz_Chems have Weight.esp", reduced XP rate for a slower progression & personal gamesettings tweaks to make hunger/thirst/fatigue more dangerous :)
Don't remember what was so special about F3 Weapon Degradation though.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Mon May 18, 2020 6:29 pm

OK well, I'll look for the compilation and re-add that then. Can you tell me which stand alone ones will be fine so I don't have to dig (I'm always busy).

The meshes fixing never ends tbh... I do need to finish the weapons so I can call them done and already release my 3ds max scenes as a modders resource. It started out with just wanting to fix the Hunting Rifle's awful sights, but it ballooned because I found so much more wrong with them, lol. I even had to start over once because I learned as I went and I was doing some stuff wrong.

Fallout 3 weapon degradation is a percentage of the damage the weapon does, and the percentage varies per skill type. It seems to make more sense to me that the weapon mods like durability increase and damage increase have greater affect, and make them something you really need to consider as then they will have ups and downsides rather than just being upsides. I like that... some people don't however. Also that makes the weapons degrade much faster, which I also like, because it makes the wasteland feel like it's been 200 years since any decent weapons were produced, and you have to scav them constantly to keep your weapons in good shape, makes repair much more important (it was rendered practically useless in NV) and it also help to balance the economy better as you don't have a ton of stuff you're selling all the time because you need it.

aitch-zed

Post by aitch-zed » Mon May 18, 2020 6:55 pm

You can write something like "HeroinZero's Weapon Fixes compilation by axonis - outdated animations and meshes. Though it's fine to use standalone reload and automatic weapon fixes."

I've looked up a difference in how weapon condition affects the damage in F3/FNV on a wiki and it seems that the biggest thing is that in F3 weapons start to lose the damage right at 99% condition while in FNV it'll only start happening at 74%, I think there is a setting in Stewie's tweaks which restores that (bRemoveWeaponDamageBuffer), so I guess if people really want it they will use this setting.
There's also some weird difference in a minimum damage between semi and full auto guns but it looks more like a bug.