About DLCs only

Have something to say about Tale of Two Wastelands or have an idea for a new feature? Let us know here.
John Barleycorn

Re: About DLCs only

Post by John Barleycorn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 am

Lyndi wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:47 pm
John Barleycorn wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:09 pm
Risewild wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:41 am
No worries mate :D .

But I feel like you're committing an error with your reasoning. While there are several quest mods for FNV, there aren't many DLC sized (or even new worldspaces) quest mods for FNV. And the ones that exist took (or are taking) many years and teams of several capable modders to make.

The problem with making a FO3 DLC for FNV from scratch is that whoever is making it, will have to make all new assets to replace the ones from FO3. Since it's illegal to use FO3 assets in FNV and vice-versa.
Which means people would have to remake the voices, sound, models, animations, dialogue, objects, quests, landmass, LOD, navmesh, NPCs, creatures, perks, pipboy icons, etc. from that DLC. And that is a monumental effort :shock: . It would be taking many years to be made with a team of good modders :shock: .

I'm not saying this to be rude or anything, I'm just trying to explain why making a FO3 DLC for FNV is very different and way more complex and work than making a quest mod for FNV. :)
About that is something i'll never understand. I mean: it's like the fonv mod for fo4, they have to remake from scratch even audio becouse you can't porting. But since tools like bsa extractor are around, why do not simply say to people "extract the missing archives from YOUR OWN BOUGHT files by yourself and then drop them on your fo4 data" Legal. And easy.
Booh. I don't get it. Anyway, let's close it here, orwe could go on endlessly.
Sorry to jump in here, but that FNV in FO4 thing isn't that easy. They have to remake everything because none of the files from FNV are compatible in any way with the FO4 engine. The problem they had with the audi was they were going to encode all of it and then distribute it, which is a copyright violation. You can't just dump the files out of the bsa's from one game and expect the engine from a completely different game to read them. I don't know where people get this idea. A guy posted here one time looking for help because he couldn't coc to Tamriel from inside FNV. He'd dumped the esm and extracted bsa files from Skyrim into his FNV folder and expected the game to run them. Ridiculous.
Seriously? You mean, in fo4 the mp3 format doesn't work? In that case forget i said anything.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:17 pm

FO4 uses the same dialogue audio format as Skyrim, so it's an MS audio format muxed with the lip sync data. There are tools to let you make those, so they COULD have dumped the FNV audio and run them through the tools to make the proper format. The issue was trying to automate the process (like how TTW handles processing FO3 audio, but more complex) while not facilitating piracy. They decided it was easier to just make all new audio recordings they could distribute without needing to worry about pirates or copyright worries by Bethesda lawyers.

UsagiPyon

Post by UsagiPyon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm

John Barleycorn wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:54 am
UsagiPyon wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:33 pm
John Barleycorn wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Have you ever tried animation project?
Nope
Figured.
:roll: That aside, this has been an interesting read.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:24 pm

John Barleycorn wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 am
Lyndi wrote:
John Barleycorn wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:09 pm

About that is something i'll never understand. I mean: it's like the fonv mod for fo4, they have to remake from scratch even audio becouse you can't porting. But since tools like bsa extractor are around, why do not simply say to people "extract the missing archives from YOUR OWN BOUGHT files by yourself and then drop them on your fo4 data" Legal. And easy.
Booh. I don't get it. Anyway, let's close it here, orwe could go on endlessly.
Sorry to jump in here, but that FNV in FO4 thing isn't that easy. They have to remake everything because none of the files from FNV are compatible in any way with the FO4 engine. The problem they had with the audi was they were going to encode all of it and then distribute it, which is a copyright violation. You can't just dump the files out of the bsa's from one game and expect the engine from a completely different game to read them. I don't know where people get this idea. A guy posted here one time looking for help because he couldn't coc to Tamriel from inside FNV. He'd dumped the esm and extracted bsa files from Skyrim into his FNV folder and expected the game to run them. Ridiculous.
Seriously? You mean, in fo4 the mp3 format doesn't work? In that case forget i said anything.
What jlf65 said. Even if FO4's audio was recorded in mp3, which it isn't by the way, what's the bit rate? is it 16-bit audio? 24-bit audio? 96khz, 48kh, 44.1khz? What are the recording levels? There are a crap ton of variables beyond the file format tagged at the end of a file.

Try opening a .doc format document made in Office 365 with Office 97. It might be able to do it, but it definitely wouldn't do it correctly.

John Barleycorn

Post by John Barleycorn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:53 am

jlf65 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:17 pm
FO4 uses the same dialogue audio format as Skyrim, so it's an MS audio format muxed with the lip sync data. There are tools to let you make those, so they COULD have dumped the FNV audio and run them through the tools to make the proper format. The issue was trying to automate the process (like how TTW handles processing FO3 audio, but more complex) while not facilitating piracy. They decided it was easier to just make all new audio recordings they could distribute without needing to worry about pirates or copyright worries by Bethesda lawyers.
Ah, now i see the problem. But i guess at least the radio stuff they'll say to drag n'drop i guess? Or they're going to remake also the music songs? :D I would really like to see how they sing Sinatra or Cosby :lol:

John Barleycorn

Post by John Barleycorn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:55 am

Lyndi wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:24 pm
John Barleycorn wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 am
Lyndi wrote:

What jlf65 said. Even if FO4's audio was recorded in mp3, which it isn't by the way, what's the bit rate? is it 16-bit audio? 24-bit audio? 96khz, 48kh, 44.1khz? What are the recording levels? There are a crap ton of variables beyond the file format tagged at the end of a file.

Try opening a .doc format document made in Office 365 with Office 97. It might be able to do it, but it definitely wouldn't do it correctly.
Boh. When i wanted to port the music songs from fonv to fo3 i simply turned them to mp3 and dropped 'em into fo3 music folder. It works perfectly. But anyway, about the matter of the dialogues i didn't think about nor i knew it could be a problem.