[Fallout 3] Companions on hardcore die very fast

Have something to say about Tale of Two Wastelands or have an idea for a new feature? Let us know here.
Ence

[Fallout 3] Companions on hardcore die very fast

Post by Ence » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:24 am

Dogmeat and Fawkes have low DT and accordingly die quickly on hardcore/very hard. I am disappointed that the TTW developers did not consider this.

imadethis2download

Re: [Fallout 3] Companions on hardcore die very fast

Post by imadethis2download » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 am

Im surprised they arent flagged as essential... :|

Death_Reaper56

Post by Death_Reaper56 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:08 am

That's how it works with the NV companions.Dont want them to die? Use a mod that makes them essential.

Ence

Post by Ence » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:15 am

The problem is that you can not raise defence for Dogmeat and Fawkes like for human companions.

RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:27 am

Companion AI is stupid, they will attack until they die. You cannot give Rex or Lily more DT either. Their health pools are about the same. The companion perk suite was already implemented to give them a bunch of DR. They simply don't have the 50000 health they do in Broken Steel.

Give them loads of stimpaks, they should use them.

Ence

Post by Ence » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 am

They don't use stimpack in fight. Using JIP Companions mod maybe a problem because of this.

RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 pm

Companions just die in Hardcore, in Vegas too, they simply weren't balanced for it.

There are other things which fail to function correctly in hardcore, like the OWB stealth suit.

Peter Curtin

Post by Peter Curtin » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:39 pm

You're sure right about Companion AI being stupid (causing problems in Hardcore mode). No matter how often I tell them to stay close and not engage until I engage, once we're in a fight they always seem to go off hunting for any other enemies detected within range. (And with ED-E's long range sensor perk, that's a long range.)

Boone will heal himself, and can be healed. But I've had to basically lock ED-E into my MTB to keep him alive until I get him up to the Followers in the Mormon Fort.

One way to deal with this is to think ahead more about when you do and don't need a Companion with you. I've begun to tell them to "wait" while I scout ahead much more often.

Ence

Post by Ence » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:38 am

It's hard playing on last difficulty with BLEED mod without companions. They very help you. Especially Arcade with plasma pistol.

UsagiPyon

Post by UsagiPyon » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:40 am

I simply use JIP C&C https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50468.
This is really a non issue made up to be by an entitled individual. Dogmeat and fawkes DT too low? Go to geck, give them some actor effects and make your own patch. People saying that they are disappointed in XYZ in a FREE mod really gives me a chuckle. In addition, many are also playing on hardcore + bleed + jsawyer and boy is it so difficult (!?)

Lastly, it has been known that companions have dumb AI. Heck my companions (tag aggressive + foolhardy) randomly ran away in fear facing mobs in AWOP but murders deathclaws in the quarry :(