First impressions and feedback.

Have something to say about Tale of Two Wastelands or have an idea for a new feature? Let us know here.
Blazefan

First impressions and feedback.

Post by Blazefan » Wed May 01, 2013 3:40 am

Well, I got TTW 2.2a running, and so far I gotta say it's been really smooth and I am really enjoying it. It's really stable and despite running as New Vegas, actually runs a bit smoother than NV does on my computer typically. That might just be for the Capital Wasteland though, haven't been to the Mojave yet. We'll see.

Nonetheless, it's great. I have come across a few glitches or things out of place, but most of them seem to either be A. known with a fix, or B. Known with progress being made to fix them. An example is the Rivet City NPC glitch outside of the market. Here are a couple of the things I have noticed that I did not see reported yet. These are minor but I thought I'd mention them nonetheless. 

1. At the birthday Party in 101, when Andy cuts the cake the cake just vanishes.

2. At the birthday party once again, when the overseer leaves, instead of going upstairs he walked down to the reactor room. Almost like he had the same script to walk there as James or something. I played through the birthday scene twice and both of these incidents occurred both times.

3. When somebody speaks over an intercom, there is no distortion in the audio. Normally in the game a voice over the intercom has a slight static-y distortion to it and sounds a tad more quiet than regular dialogue, but they sound like they're face-to-face to me here. This has happened at: Vault 101 when Jonas speaks over the intercom at the party (The party seems full of surprises with me, I know. XD), at Tenpenny Tower with Chief Gustavo when he lets you in, and at Rivet City with Harkness before extending the bridge.

sesom

1 & 2 sound a lot as they are

Post by sesom » Wed May 01, 2013 6:07 am

1 & 2 sound a lot as they are occurred by a external mod.

About 3 this is a glitch of the NV engine, which has problems with the distortion which is added to voice files on some soundcards (realtek mostly). Not much we can do about it except completely removing it.

Risewild

As the lead tester of the

Post by Risewild » Wed May 01, 2013 6:27 am

As the lead tester of the team I must say it feels good every time I hear people say how stable and bug free the game is makes me feel that I and the other testers do our job the way we should, so thank you .

Now about the things you found, (and if you find more please just keep posting them, we really like the community help ):

1) I am pretty sure that in my game the cake was still there, but I will check once again to be sure . EDIT: Just checked and indeed the cake is still there after being destroyed, so it must be mod related somehow .

2) The overseer walking out of place has been reported before and by what Jax told me I believe a fix will be included in the next update .

3) The distortion in the audio is not a bug, it was removed on purpose, because that distortion doesn't seem to work properly for many players and produces a scratchy/crackling noise (in several degrees of loudness depending on the player and sound card) that can make the game sound unpleasant and annoying, so it was disabled.

Thanks for your time to write this post and for the nice words again if you find anything out of place or wrong, don't feel shy and post, I will try and see if they are already reported or not and also explain why some things are like they are in case they are not bugs .

Signature:

Blazefan

@Risewild I'd say from my

Post by Blazefan » Thu May 02, 2013 7:04 pm

@Risewild I'd say from my experience thus far you can definitely feel proud of your work as a tester. Yeah there are some bugs and issues here and there, but for it to still be in Alpha phase and be this stable is really a good job. It's also really awesome just how fast many issues are found and fixed. The team overall has done a really great job thus far.

Awesome about the fix for the overseer being in progress. I can easily live with the cake detail and the audio.

I'll go ahead and say that I'm not running any mods with TTW right now. I want my first impressions to be entirely vanilla-based. Besides, I feel that's the only way to really give credible feedback, especially when it comes to bugs. I probably won't install any mods for a while, probably not until I've explored most of the game.

A couple other things I noticed into my game recently I thought I'd bring up too.

Very minor, but one of the lockers in the Megaton house is moved. Normally it's on the same wall as the door, but it's next to the bobblehead stand right now. 

I've also come across two protectrons in the wastelands, and neither of them fired lasers at me for some reason. They both ran up to me and tried attacking melee. Never seen that before (I didn't even know protectrons COULD attack you melee.)

In Tenpenny Tower there's no music playing. It keeps sounding like I'm out in the wasteland, rather than switching to the elevator-like music it normally has in the background.

rbroab

The Lockers in the Megaton

Post by rbroab » Thu May 02, 2013 7:32 pm

The Lockers in the Megaton house are moved because now you can also buy a reloading bench from Moira, something that wasn't in FO3

I'm not alright, I'm an equal amount of left.

Risewild

Rbroab is right as usual the

Post by Risewild » Fri May 03, 2013 12:12 am

Rbroab is right as usual laugh the locker was moved so it would allow space for the reloading bench you can buy from Moira.

The protectrons are already a known issue and Jax was working on it to be fixed by the next update, and you might also find that other robots are having problems too (sentry bots, Mister Gutsys, Robobrains), that is due (if I remember correctly) to an experimental features Jax included that would allow the robots to have random voices from FO3 and FNV instead of just having their normal voices for that wasteland, that would improve the variety of voices that a player could experience while being on a single wasteland laugh which is a great idea but it needs more work so I think he will remove it and go back to vanilla FO3 and FNV voices in the next update and later make an optional plugin that will do that laugh.

I haven't been in Tenpenny Tower on this new version of TTW so I haven't encountered that problem laugh I will check it out soon wink.

Again thanks for posting laugh it's really helpful for me (specially since I just started to learn how to use GECK and am making my first mod ever, I have been neglecting testing a bit...).

Signature:

Blazefan

The reloading bench addition

Post by Blazefan » Fri May 03, 2013 2:48 am

The reloading bench addition makes sense, and It's awesome that such is added to the FO3 portion of the game.

The protectron thing proves my earlier point of kudos, that so many things are already known and being worked out. Big time kudos to this team!

The Tenpenny Tower was a bit of an immersion breaker because the wasteland music carried over inside. I entered and exited multiple times and it kept happening. Hope you can check it soon, don't know if it's a bug or what.

One more thing I spotted for now just happened when I bought something from Crow. He had 3 leather armors in his inventory, and when I bought the cheapest one it reappeared in his inventory. I bought it again and again it instantly reappeared in his inventory. Then I bought the most expensive one and suddenly all three disappeared from his inventory. Anything like this known or seen from merchants?

rbroab

Thanks Rise

Post by rbroab » Fri May 03, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks Riseblush

as far as merchants go, there's been a bit of an exploit where merchants can/will have multiple same items in their inventory. Buying and selling said item back and forth can actually get the player the item at max condition, and the exploit can be used to buy multiple items at no cost.

it sounds to me like that's what's happening. I explained it very poorly, but there are videos on how to do it and what it is. 

I'm not alright, I'm an equal amount of left.

Risewild

I just checked Tenpenny Tower

Post by Risewild » Sat May 04, 2013 5:30 am

I just checked Tenpenny Tower and indeed the music in the lobby is missing wink, thanks for noticing it and sharing, will write a bug report right away yes.

Signature:

Blazefan

Not a problem. I'm more than

Post by Blazefan » Sat May 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Not a problem. I'm more than happy to report finds and give feedback that will help the team. 

Gonna go deeper into the game before reporting anything else, but I have one final question for now. Deathclaws and Radscorpions are much tougher in New Vegas than FO3. Are the tougher NV versions now in the CW, or are the respective versions in their respective wastelands still, or is there a mix? I looked this up but couldn't find a clear answer, and I don't want to face one of these creatures and find myself thoroughly outmatched because I expected something different. XD