New to Fallout 3, Should I play with TTW?

Have something to say about Tale of Two Wastelands or have an idea for a new feature? Let us know here.
ClankerTGP

New to Fallout 3, Should I play with TTW?

Post by ClankerTGP » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:45 am

I've played NV for so long and love its mechanics and vastly prefer many compared to what ive seen in FO3, and while I have played a bit of it I was wondering if any one suggested using TTW for a complete and new ish playthrough that can be separate from NV's story

rweizer

Re: New to Fallout 3, Should I play with TTW?

Post by rweizer » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:18 am

it's possible i think, just start in capital wasteland and don't go to the Mojave

it's worth it if you're willing to put in the time tbh

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:07 am

There's zero crossover between the two games stories. If you don't want to play any of FNV's story then just don't take the train to the mojave.

I would recommend TTW to anyone that wanted to play FO3. Usually I'd say play the base game before introducing mods that change things like mechanics, but FO3 is an exception. The regular game is a dog on newer operating systems. Just getting FO3 to run on Windows 10 can be a minor miracle, getting it to remain stable isn't really possible. TTW is much, much more stable and won't crash every 10 minutes.

That being said, expect FNV mechanics in TTW's FO3 and be prepared to play by those rules. Ammo types are a thing, for example, and you will want to use appropriate ammo for certain creatures.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:36 pm

IMHO, the only reason to play FO3 itself instead of TTW is if there were a mod specifically for FO3 you wished to use that wasn't available on TTW. There are quite a lot of excellent mods for F03, most of which will never get ported to TTW, so I wouldn't discount never running FO3. However, if you don't care all that much about FO3 mods, or if the one(s) you care about have been converted, then TTW offers a superior experience to plain FO3. You'd need a lot of mods in FO3 to get close to what FONV make available through TTW, like iron sights or hardcore needs. Alternate ammo is one of those things that simply isn't available on FO3, even today.