What is this?

Have something to say about Tale of Two Wastelands or have an idea for a new feature? Let us know here.
angrychimp

What is this?

Post by angrychimp » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 pm

Welp... After a good annoyance worth of searching I finally ended up here...

What is Tale of Two Wastelands? Yes, I had to come to this site, make an account, find my way here, just to ask that question, because I couldnt find anything clear cut that could answer that simple question...

What I was able to gather is that Tale of Two Wastelands puts fallout 3 into fallout NV. How or what or who... I dont know... I went to nexus mods and found nothing but tweaks and bs for TTW but no base mod itself... Yes, lets tweak the thing we dont have... Thats intellectually viable...

How I started this journey was, I was thinking about getting back into fallout. And as has been my pet peeve for years, I want to make the ideal game with all the million billion mods out there... I guess this was suggested to me because I had the idea of NV being like a sequel to FO3 but if its something like dropping all of FO3 into NV as a plugin, then that by nature should cause a whole hell of a lot of problems...

The thing that has been stopping me from playing 'bugthesda' games for years is not being able to get a game to run smoothly without having to dance around bugs and glitches I kept seeing...

I guess in short, what is this, how does it work, and is it worth trying to make a modded up ideal fallout game or is it a waste of time?

Lyndi

Re: What is this?

Post by Lyndi » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:36 am

faq#What-is-ttw

What TTW is is entry number one in the FAQ. There are also a ton of youtube vids people have done over the years that show what TTW is. At the very least read through the FAQ. That's what it's there for.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:30 am

The Nexus doesn't host TTW because Bethesda asked them to not do it many years ago. :o

What TTW is would require a huge wall of text to describe properly. I will try to summarize it, so let's see how this goes...

TTW is a total conversion of Fallout New Vegas to include both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, plus all of their DLCs into a massive game. It uses Fallout New Vegas engine to achieve this.

It tries to keep the feeling and balance of both games individually. This is not easy to achieve, since the systems from Fallout New Vegas would already unbalance Fallout 3. For example, Super Mutants in TTW are tougher than in Fallout 3, because Fallout New Vegas includes stuff like AP ammo, Energy Weapons reduce DT, Perks that greatly increase the fighting capabilities of the PC, more weapons, unarmed special moves, etc.
For a new player, TTW will feel harder (if they start the game in the Capital Wasteland) than Fallout 3 because of this, but after the player gets a feeling for all the options that TTW includes, they will probably find that the difficulty is closer to Fallout 3 than it first looked like.

TTW also adds some new content, so that the Fallout 3 part of it can be in line with Fallout New Vegas. It adds reload benches around the Capital Wasteland (and dlcs), ironsights for "Fallout 3 + DLCs only" weapons, adds several new weapon mods for some "Fallout 3 only" weapons, adds several new recipes so that the player can cook and use the survival skill from the start (if they start in the Capital Wasteland), adds a few new harvesteable plants (to help with recipes, survival skill and hardcore mode), adds several new challenges for the Fallout 3 side of TTW (the Fallout New Vegas ingame challenges that reward the player with xp or other effects), adds companion perks to Fallout 3 companions, and more stuff.

TTW also alters the Fallout 3 Bobbleheads. Instead of giving flat bonuses to skills and attributes, Bobbleheads now give "mini perks". This happens because it's really easy to max out both Attributes and skills in TTW. Some Fallout 3 useless perks (those that only gave skill bonuses) got edited to be useful for the same reason.

TTW also adds two train stations (based on the real world stations) so the player can travel between wastelands in a lore friendly way.

TTW also reintroduces several cut content from the games.

For more information about these topics I recommend reading the FAQ's Gameplay section.

How does it work? That would be pretty impossible to describe without an essay of several hundreds of pages... :?

About making it an ideal modded Fallout game. Well many users manage to do that, but Fallout 3 mods usually have to be converted to work with TTW, and some Fallout New Vegas mods have to get a patch or TTW version so they affect both wastelands.
This might require some work, depending on the mods you want to use. The community is better suited to answer this question than I am, since my job on the TTW team means I don't use other mods with TTW.

TTW makes playing Fallout 3 more stable and with better performance than the actual Fallout 3 game. But it's a Gamebryo game so it's impossible to make it run smooth and perfect.

I think I will let the community members to come by and give their own opinions. I don't play TTW I only work on it :lol: . The community is better equipped to answer more about the "playing" and "modding" TTW than I am. :D
Signature:

angrychimp

Post by angrychimp » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Lyndi wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:36 am
faq#What-is-ttw

What TTW is is entry number one in the FAQ. There are also a ton of youtube vids people have done over the years that show what TTW is. At the very least read through the FAQ. That's what it's there for.
Um, no... The FAQ says nothing about this... The total FAQ is as follows.

1: Recommended mods for 3.2. x

2: Mods Incompatible with 3.2 +

3: Version 3.2 FAQ

4: Cut Armors and Weapons restored by TTW

5: Challenges added by TTW

6: 3.2.1 update FAQ

I dont think you are deliberately lying to me, but like everyone else, it seems you just dont understand the issue... Its incredible how much criticism I have to put up with when other people are guilty of their own venom...

angrychimp

Post by angrychimp » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:29 pm

Risewild wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:30 am
The Nexus doesn't host TTW because Bethesda asked them to not do it many years ago. :o

What TTW is would require a huge wall of text to describe properly. I will try to summarize it, so let's see how this goes...

TTW is a total conversion of Fallout New Vegas to include both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, plus all of their DLCs into a massive game. It uses Fallout New Vegas engine to achieve this.

It tries to keep the feeling and balance of both games individually. This is not easy to achieve, since the systems from Fallout New Vegas would already unbalance Fallout 3. For example, Super Mutants in TTW are tougher than in Fallout 3, because Fallout New Vegas includes stuff like AP ammo, Energy Weapons reduce DT, Perks that greatly increase the fighting capabilities of the PC, more weapons, unarmed special moves, etc.
For a new player, TTW will feel harder (if they start the game in the Capital Wasteland) than Fallout 3 because of this, but after the player gets a feeling for all the options that TTW includes, they will probably find that the difficulty is closer to Fallout 3 than it first looked like.

TTW also adds some new content, so that the Fallout 3 part of it can be in line with Fallout New Vegas. It adds reload benches around the Capital Wasteland (and dlcs), ironsights for "Fallout 3 + DLCs only" weapons, adds several new weapon mods for some "Fallout 3 only" weapons, adds several new recipes so that the player can cook and use the survival skill from the start (if they start in the Capital Wasteland), adds a few new harvesteable plants (to help with recipes, survival skill and hardcore mode), adds several new challenges for the Fallout 3 side of TTW (the Fallout New Vegas ingame challenges that reward the player with xp or other effects), adds companion perks to Fallout 3 companions, and more stuff.

TTW also alters the Fallout 3 Bobbleheads. Instead of giving flat bonuses to skills and attributes, Bobbleheads now give "mini perks". This happens because it's really easy to max out both Attributes and skills in TTW. Some Fallout 3 useless perks (those that only gave skill bonuses) got edited to be useful for the same reason.

TTW also adds two train stations (based on the real world stations) so the player can travel between wastelands in a lore friendly way.

TTW also reintroduces several cut content from the games.

For more information about these topics I recommend reading the FAQ's Gameplay section.

How does it work? That would be pretty impossible to describe without an essay of several hundreds of pages... :?

About making it an ideal modded Fallout game. Well many users manage to do that, but Fallout 3 mods usually have to be converted to work with TTW, and some Fallout New Vegas mods have to get a patch or TTW version so they affect both wastelands.
This might require some work, depending on the mods you want to use. The community is better suited to answer this question than I am, since my job on the TTW team means I don't use other mods with TTW.

TTW makes playing Fallout 3 more stable and with better performance than the actual Fallout 3 game. But it's a Gamebryo game so it's impossible to make it run smooth and perfect.

I think I will let the community members to come by and give their own opinions. I don't play TTW I only work on it :lol: . The community is better equipped to answer more about the "playing" and "modding" TTW than I am. :D
Typical of 'bugthesda' to criticize the people who make them all their real money... Without mods bugthesda would go bankrupt...

As for your post, this was very insightful, thank you. If I read it all correctly it makes both wastelands essentially equal in terms of NV and all of its new content. I was afraid that the opposite would be true. I was afraid that I would have to find other mods just to get the NV content in FO3 but it seems you have already done that for more... Much appreciated.

I guess then the next step I have to work out is all the quarks and features I want to have. In principle I liked the NV hard core mode but I thought it could be much better rather than just having rad scales for everything. I guess what I really want is hyper realism as much as a game world like this can handle at least. Ill have to look into that more carefully. But it sounds like a great deal of what I wanted is already accomplished, very impressed... xD

My experience with Morrowind and especially Skyrim was that modding was pure chaos, that no one held to any kind of standard and that everything was miss matched together and tacky as hell... It might be the same here, but im definitely hopeful.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:07 am

angrychimp wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:13 pm
Lyndi wrote:
faq#What-is-ttw

I dont think you are deliberately lying to me, but like everyone else, it seems you just dont understand the issue... Its incredible how much criticism I have to put up with when other people are guilty of their own venom...
That is the FAQ forum thread. It's not the FAQ. ;) The FAQ forum thread is where we can make threads that can be linked from the actual FAQ page, as to not clog up the FAQ page with giant walls of text just to answer a question. ;)

Lyndi posted the link to the "What is TTW" section of the FAQ. In my previous post, I linked the "Gameplay" section of the FAQ. There is also a link on the top of the site, next to the "Download TTW" button that goes to the FAQ. And I also link the FAQ in my signature. :D
As for your post, this was very insightful, thank you. If I read it all correctly it makes both wastelands essentially equal in terms of NV and all of its new content. I was afraid that the opposite would be true. I was afraid that I would have to find other mods just to get the NV content in FO3 but it seems you have already done that for more... Much appreciated.
Yes, there will be FNV content in Fallout 3 part of TTW. But not all the content. For example, you won't find some weapons that would make no sense being in Washington DC (like cowboy repeaters, for example). The Fallout 3 Hunting Rifles are different from the Fallout New Vegas ones and are called .308 Hunting Rifle (we had to make it like this because FNV HR were too powerful to be around so early in Fallout 3, it really unbalanced the game).
There might be mods that add vendors that trade stuff from FNV in DC. I think I remember one mod that added a Gun Runners vendor to someplace (maybe Rivet City?). :)
Signature:

angrychimp

Post by angrychimp » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 am

Risewild wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:07 am
angrychimp wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:13 pm
Lyndi wrote:
faq#What-is-ttw

That is the FAQ forum thread. It's not the FAQ. ;) The FAQ forum thread is where we can make threads that can be linked from the actual FAQ page, as to not clog up the FAQ page with giant walls of text just to answer a question. ;)

Lyndi posted the link to the "What is TTW" section of the FAQ. In my previous post, I linked the "Gameplay" section of the FAQ. There is also a link on the top of the site, next to the "Download TTW" button that goes to the FAQ. And I also link the FAQ in my signature. :D
Yes, there will be FNV content in Fallout 3 part of TTW. But not all the content. For example, you won't find some weapons that would make no sense being in Washington DC (like cowboy repeaters, for example). The Fallout 3 Hunting Rifles are different from the Fallout New Vegas ones and are called .308 Hunting Rifle (we had to make it like this because FNV HR were too powerful to be around so early in Fallout 3, it really unbalanced the game).
There might be mods that add vendors that trade stuff from FNV in DC. I think I remember one mod that added a Gun Runners vendor to someplace (maybe Rivet City?). :)
I guess one pointed question is, would the basic common stuff from NV be found in FO3? Like common, non theme or faction specific items like guns, armor, drugs, ammo types, so on. I would hope to have a universal loot table for all the generic stuff.

Lyaneri

Post by Lyaneri » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:41 pm

angrychimp wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 am
I guess one pointed question is, would the basic common stuff from NV be found in FO3? Like common, non theme or faction specific items like guns, armor, drugs, ammo types, so on. I would hope to have a universal loot table for all the generic stuff.
Risewild already answered you twice this question so imma answer you one more time even more simplified than Risewild's last answer:
YES!

angrychimp

Post by angrychimp » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:25 pm

Lyaneri wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:41 pm
angrychimp wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 am
Risewild already answered you twice this question so imma answer you one more time even more simplified than Risewild's last answer:
YES!
Do you see this line of text here?

"There might be mods that add vendors that trade stuff from FNV in DC. I think I remember one mod that added a Gun Runners vendor to someplace (maybe Rivet City?). "

Thats one of the last things that Risewild said... That suggests the above is not true... So rather than spew your venom at me and demonstrate that you just dont know you are talking about... Which makes you look like an idiot... You could just pay more attention to the conversation...

You act like you are entitled to dump your trash on me, you are not... Read a conversation before you jump to criticize... It blows my mind how many trolls and cancers show up in these forums... Just go back to grade school...

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:07 am

Please try to remain civil. You really need to relax, read a bunch of threads, and read the FAQ.

As to stuff from NV in DC, some things are added as part of TTW by default. There are some mods that add more in places. The better ones are

TTW Rivet City Merchants Plus: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/67475
Mojave Imports: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7454

There is also IDF - Item Distribution Framework: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7767
but I don't care for that as it goes crazy adding all kinds of things where it shouldn't.

You'll notice that two are in the releases thread and shouldn't need to be linked here if you had actually looked before asking. The other is at the nexus, but has been talked about here in a few threads. You may or may not have noticed even if you did look over the threads first, so you get a pass on that one. ;)