CROSS-CONTENT DISCUSSION: Weapon Schematics

What's new and upcoming in Tale of Two Wastelands? Find out here.
darthbdaman
Gary

Schematics should definitely

Post by darthbdaman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:00 am

Schematics should definitely be converted into recipes. In the base version, there should be no skill checks, as not to depart from Fallout 3, while in the merged version (or whatever we are calling it), there should be skill checks, to better balance and integrate the content, and match it up with the rest of the NV stuff.

Ein

For the rock-it-launcher

Post by Ein » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:51 am

For the rock-it-launcher wouldn't it be a fair trade off to have ammo-like objects converted into ammo, things like baseballs or tableware into ammo types with different effects. So you could load up some baseballs and do some serious damage to things without armor or you could toss some forks in and do armor piercing damage.

Something along those lines, though I don't know if you can make a gun use more of one ammo type over another as sort of a burst mode. Which would add a lot more credibility to shooting dinnerware. Or there could just be a seperate set of recipies, like 2 forks, 2 butter knive + ductape = a shot.

At any rate, I'm for a loss in sillyness of being able to shoot teddy bears and what not at people with decapitating speed if it means the gun can be used. It would also give a purpose to baseballs, forks, knives, etc. Which otherwise just just of sit arround doing nothing otherwise. If only there were a disc launcher model, then even plates would have a point.

dmcgee627

Regarding the Rock It

Post by dmcgee627 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Regarding the Rock It Launcher, I've seen a New Vegas version floating around on a few lesser known modding forums.

I haven't tried it myself, but it might be something to look in to.

JaxFirehart

The previous team lead,

Post by JaxFirehart » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:22 pm

The previous team lead, Kurotisune, recently contacted me regarding the rock-it launcher, claiming he knows how to fix it. I haven't been able to try it yet, but his track record is pretty good. There is a good chance the rock-it launcher may come back!

AngelusMalus

This works, too. 

Post by AngelusMalus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:06 am

nevermind

Copper Hamster

I was walking through Walmart

Post by Copper Hamster » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:55 pm

I was walking through Walmart last week and had an idea for how to handle the schematics from fo3.

This was just wild speculation mind you.

Ok, so finding the schematic gives you a (hidden) perk. Perk has 3 ranks. Perk adds the recipie to the available ones, with no required skill. Or something like that, I don't know, but that's how my mind though 'how would I get to the next bit'.

The next bit:

Since you craft items at 100% (I think?) let's make the three ranks three different ranks of weapon.

Example:

Dart Gun Rank 1: Has a higher spread, lower vats acc, and longer reload time.

Dart Gun rank 2: The normal dart gun

Dart Gun Rank 3: Slightly lower spread, (if the range is shorter than normal weapons) slightly longer range

Each can be used to repair the other.

For grenades and mines we already have a good mechanic in place (multiples for more schematics).

This was just a thought I had and is probably not very good. But I thought I'd mention it.

I came here to lurk and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum.

dandys

It seems that the misc. stat

Post by dandys » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:13 am

It seems that the misc. stat "weapons created' was carried over to Fallout: New Vegas, although there isn't a way to increase it. Perhaps we can come up with an alternative crafting system that increments that misc. stat as well?

Gribbleshnibit8

Post by Gribbleshnibit8 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:35 am

I think the weapons should be handled the FNV way for crafting. Full health, and I like the idea of skill required being related to number of schematics. That makes sense, as the more information you have on it, the easier it is to create it.

If it's possible to get the Rock-it Launcher working, that'd be great. I never made them much, but having it working would be much better than an alternate version. That being said, if the alternate version is the only viable option, I like the idea of weapon like objects such as baseballs and pool balls being used as ammo. Auto-converting items would be near malicious, because you don't know if someone collected that one coffee mug to complete their set, and converting it with no input would be wrong.

Making ammo from junk at a crafting bench would be an acceptable solution, converting junk into ammo types. Maybe different junk makes different ammo types, such as metal bits being equivalent to either AP or HP (big difference between those two, I know). Ceramic items being a different ammo type, etc. Then you could turn the gun into basically a junk powered, shoulder mounted minigun. Large capacity, high rate of fire, low-ish damage.

[quote=Copper Hamster]Since you craft items at 100% (I think?) let's make the three ranks three different ranks of weapon.[/quote]

The idea of making different levels of weapons like that goes against the design that Jax is going for in TTW. He wants as minimal new forms as possible, to maintain full compatibility.

[quote=dandys]It seems that the misc. stat "weapons created' was carried over to Fallout: New Vegas, although there isn't a way to increase it. Perhaps we can come up with an alternative crafting system that increments that misc. stat as well?[/quote]

That could work. I can think of two ways to make it, though one of them requires modifying the crafting script, which is obviously out. The other would involve a quest that monitors menu modes, keeps track of the number of the crafted weapons in inventory when starting crafting, and then checks after to see if it changed. If so, increment the stat by 1. It'd be extremely light, since it would only need to check once actually in the menu mode for crafting.

Dynastia

How about instead of the

Post by Dynastia » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 pm

How about instead of the recipe returning a weapon, it returns a miscellanious item (called "Dart Gun" or whatever). As soon as it's added to player inventory it runs a script to check your repair skill, then adds a Dart Gun to your inventory at a suitable condition and deletes itself.

Might be a bit clumsy, but it should get the job done.

JaxFirehart

That is actually how it was

Post by JaxFirehart » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:51 pm

That is actually how it was originally done by TTW. We chose not to do it that way because everything else you craft in NV is fully repaired no matter your skill. We figured it would be out of place.