CROSS-CONTENT DISCUSSION: Main Quest

What's new and upcoming in Tale of Two Wastelands? Find out here.
ElvenScoundrel

I wish someone made a mod for

Post by ElvenScoundrel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:35 am

I wish someone made a mod for TTW that essentially turned the Capital Wasteland as is after the end of the FO3 main quest. I hate the FO3 Main Quest, and I don't even plan on starting it, so having the option of going to the CW without magically going back in time would be fun. Heck, I'd volunteer to work on such a mod.

JaxFirehart

Well then get started, nobody

Post by JaxFirehart » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Well then get started, nobody is stopping you. It shouldn't even be too hard to just set it up so that the main quest and whatever sidequests you want, are already disabled.

bigcrazewolf

I have to say I like the

Post by bigcrazewolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:06 pm

I have to say I like the ideas that have been put out on the LW being recruited by the Mojave Express and the train being used as the first way to get to NV, even though holes can be poked through the story line. In my opinion the Courier and the LW should be the same person really or why even use TTW just fire up each game separately it's the Tale of Two Wastelands not the Tale of Two People.

As for how the time span could be covered I like what Jax was talking about, going along and fixing the tracks as you move along. I also think another way of making it much more simple is having it pop up as a quest maybe called "living life", "My how time does fly" something like that. Once activated it fades you get a story about two years of becoming restless in the CW (to bad we couldn't afford Ron Pearlmen) you wake up in your bed step outside and are approached by a ME recruiter. He knows of your deeds and believes your the guy his operation is looking for, then he gives you the back story on how the train has been worked on by the collective Courier and Caravan companies, he gives you your ticket and then you head out. Just my 2 caps cool

wolf   

subtledoctor

@Wowboy: that sounds awesome

Post by subtledoctor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:44 pm

@Wowboy: that sounds awesome - basically the ideal way I would personally prefer to play TTW. Is what you did available as a mod, or something like that?

JaxFirehart

We've explained this before.

Post by JaxFirehart » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:52 pm

We've explained this before. There is no indication that the train even makes it out of DC, the whole point of the fade to white, 9 years later, shot in the head is that the Courier doesn't remember ANYTHING that happened in that 9 years, other than getting shot in the head and some minor details, because amnesia is totally not a misunderstood and overused plot device...

Something you have to remember, though, is that the whole idea of New Vegas is that you can give your courier any back story you wish, and there are even opportunities for you to show a bit of your backstory. TTW hems that in a bit by forcing the Courier to also be the Lone Wanderer, but the 9 years later with no filler allows you to still role play anything that might have happened in those 9 years. Maybe you met up with Caesar's Legion a bit further east of NV and were given orders to become a courier so that you can spy undercover, with the platinum chip being a huge coincidence. Or maybe you spent some time with the midwest brotherhood, so you know EXACTLY what a chicago is.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't make a mod to this extent, but it is unlikely the team ever will because we don't want to take the opportunity to play your character as you want them.

TJ

... I like the train. It

Post by TJ » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 pm

... I like the train. It suits it's purpose even if it doesn't ever get updated again (which I'm pretty sure it will) and beats the shit out of a magic manhole. SyToS, your ideas are good, and I've seen people want for something like this before. Do you mod? Tear it up if you do. Otherwise it's Chuck's vision and we're along for the ride. Myself I'm curious to see where he takes us even if it's not right away.

My project Dash is on Kickstarter!

darthbdaman
Gary

Just thought of something and

Post by darthbdaman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Just thought of something and wanted to share.

I think that beating the main quest and the wasteland survival guide should be requirements for travel. The story of Fallout 3 is irrevocably damaged if you leave half way through fixing project purity.

I also think that trouble on the home front should be a requirement. I think it would give the Lone Wanderer a valid reason to leave. With James dead and no home left they could reasonably leave after dealing with the purifier situation. This could a least give some reason for the wanderer to leave.

I think the Brotherhood of Steel should have control of the train, and be repairing it. You receive a note from one of the scribes upon completing the main quest that the Brotherhood has been repairing the train for travel west. With nothing left to do in D.C., they hop on the train and move west. You then promptly awaken in Doc Mitchell's house 3 years later.

Yes 3. We can assume that the date has been rounded a bit because it must have taken the Lone Wanderer a bit of time to do Fallout 3's main quest. The date can then be forwarded to the New Vegas start date. This clears up the cutscene issue. I personally see no evidence besides, one joke about 18 year old kids, and the divide. Personally I don't think the Divide is an issue. It could reasonably have taken place within the last 3 years. Also, every comment about being in places like New Reno would not be unusual for a courier. They would have been all sorts of places. The date should be 2281 in Vegas. I think we should be adapting our stories to the original games, not the other way around.

Also, I think that Broken Steel's quests should not be opened up until after you have traveled to the Mojave and tracked down Benny. Broken Steel always felt like more of a clean up the Enclave mission, which I think makes more sense a few years after the purifier. The Brotherhood (Star Paladin Cross?) tracks you down and sends you a message that they have found the base of operations of the Enclave and need your help defeating them. You can then go of and do Broken Steel, as a side mission rather than the end of the main quest.

Anyone have any suggestion or feedback. I think this does solve the problem of the Lone Wanderer leaving (at least partially) and of having to play Broken Steel to get to the Mojave.

JaxFirehart

darthbdaman wrote:

Post by JaxFirehart » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:33 am

[quote=darthbdaman]

Yes 3. We can assume that the date has been rounded a bit because it must have taken the Lone Wanderer a bit of time to do Fallout 3's main quest. The date can then be forwarded to the New Vegas start date. This clears up the cutscene issue. I personally see no evidence besides, one joke about 18 year old kids, and the divide. Personally I don't think the Divide is an issue. It could reasonably have taken place within the last 3 years. Also, every comment about being in places like New Reno would not be unusual for a courier. They would have been all sorts of places. The date should be 2281 in Vegas. I think we should be adapting our stories to the original games, not the other way around.

[/quote]

We have discussed this at length and come to the conclusion that it's the only thing that makes sense. Do some research on the divide, especially the courier's involvement and when Ulysses found it. 3 years between the game does not work.