Should TTW Require NVSE

What's new and upcoming in Tale of Two Wastelands? Find out here.
Mystical Panda

Absolutely. Simply because of

Post by Mystical Panda » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Absolutely. Simply because of the additional scripting abilities NVSE offers. By "upgrading" some of the existing game scripts, it might be possible to more easily integrate "both" wastelands outside of what's possible with the existing scripting system. Also, on NVAC, I haven't check yet as it might already have this... I would like to see a "verbose" option that will report to the player in a passive message that a "crash" was "redirected". This would be nice to see while in game when something "bugs" out and NVAC catches/corrects it without having to quit the game, then check the log. Might help to help to locate problem areas/mods (that modify a given area) more seemlessly.

pintocat

A bit late to the party,

Post by pintocat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:52 pm

A bit late to the party, panda. The TTW installer checks for NVSE and offers to download it, and the "load time hotfix" taleoftwowastelands.esm actually uses NVSE for user defined functions

Mystical Panda

Yeah I just noticed! I guess

Post by Mystical Panda » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:26 am

Yeah I just noticed! I guess sometimes better late than never. Lol. I did want to drop a note supporting this though because while playing, I had an idea about how NVSE functions could be used to "tie" together dynanically some of the dual area gameplay, but somehow it slipped my mind while testing today. It'll come back. An interesting idea though, where NV purists might consider a story gap while trying to play as the "courier", could play as the "courier", just not as the original NV game intended. Story wise, after hearing of a quest to take them to Nevada (a custom TTW quest, like find this or help this -well maybe not that shallow- but something about find the brotherhood on the other coast, or they've asked for help), you see the real NV courier whose shot, but he actually dies. Before he dies, he hands that responsibility off to you. You both are attacked, you wake up in the docs office, where the original is said to be dead. From that point, you ARE the courier. The transistion could be as the end game is present, slides that tell the story... a short cut to the courier being shot... then slides about it being handed off to you. Now you have to fullfill that role, and game will call you the courier. Others will believe you to be just that, and assume you were born or are from a different area, which real courier was. Kinda breaks purist lore, but might be an interesting angle.

Mystical Panda

I just remember what I was

Post by Mystical Panda » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:33 pm

I just remember what I was thinking -not sure what that means exactly- Lol! but... By expanding the script commands available it would be possible to do checks based on name rather than id. So for pre-war books as example, the check could be for "pre-war book" description instead of specific ids and really shorten up some scripts and their conditionals.

pintocat

TTW's main philosophy is to

Post by pintocat » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:42 pm

TTW's main philosophy is to make as few changes to FNV as possible, and the same for FO3. It's not trying to change everything, just to make FO3 work in FNV, with some changes to make FO3 behave more FNV-ish in some cases.

Things like script efficiency changes are outside scope. Even bugfixes, really -- that's what the TTWFixes is for.

Mystical Panda

Thanks pinto, I'll post ideas

Post by Mystical Panda » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Thanks pinto, I'll post ideas/thoughts like those in that forum. I know changes, testing and re-testing is far from an easy task, but just in case.

RoyBatty

Please start your own threads

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:37 am

Please start your own threads about ideas and things. TTWFixes thread (and really all mod threads) are for the mods themselves and things that directly pertain to them.

Mystical Panda

Thanks Roy, will do. I'm

Post by Mystical Panda » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks Roy, will do. I'm betting things in general are getting pretty overloaded atm and I don't want to potentially add to the existing workload, so I'll kinda sit on those things for awhile.