- What is TTW?
- What are the requirements?
- What versions of the game are supported?
- Do mods work with TTW?
- Is fix mod X compatible with TTW?
- Can I use mods for TTW 2.9 with 3.2?
- Can I use an existing save?
- What does the TTW_NVSE.dll plugin do?
- What does the TTW Installer do?
- Read before you run the installer!
- Is there a TTW Discord? How about social media?
- My download keeps getting stuck at a partially completed state or failing
- My installer is giving a BASS Init error
- My installer is giving a BASS Encode error
- My installer is giving a XD3 Input Error
- My installer is giving an NTDLL error (or CPU is overheating)
- My game is crashing on start
- My audio is stuttering
- Some voices are still crackling even though I ran the installer with full ogg encoding
- Why am I getting pink screens?
- I have missing meshes (Red Diamonds)
- I installed TTW using Mod Organizer or MO2 and now the game will not work
- How do I export my Load Order?
- What should my load order be?
- Do I need Sheson's Memory Patch?
- I watched GamerPoets' Performance Video. How much applies to TTW?
- What settings should I use for NVSR?
- What settings should I use for NVAC?
- How can I tell if the 4GB patch is working?
- Do I need to generate LOD?
- What .ini settings do I need to make?
- What optional .ini settings might I want to make?
- Are there any mods or files I shouldn't be using with TTW?
- How do I get to the Mojave and back to the Capital Wasteland?
- What perks were given to DC companions?
- Where are the cross-wasteland homes for companions?
- What changes are made to bobbleheads?
- What harvestables are added?
- What recipes are added?
- What items are added?
- What else was added or restored?
What is TTW?
Tale of Two Wastelands is a total conversion project that seamlessly merges Fallout 3 and its DLC into Fallout: New Vegas, allowing both games to be played in a single playthrough. It upgrades Fallout 3's mechanics to those of FNV without compromising the feel and balance of the original. New Vegas mechanics like companion wheel, companion perks, weapon mods, crafting, recipes, harvestable plants, and poisons have been added to the DC wasteland items, NPCs, and world.
What are the requirements?
TTW requires a clean Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas installation. They cannot be modded at all. The installer supports the Fallout 3 Retail, Steam, and GoG Game of the Year Editions and the New Vegas Steam and GoG Ultimate versions. All DLC is required. English only. That means North American and Western European releases patched to their latest versions. _lang.esp translations will break the game.
After a clean install run each game launcher to generate the necessary registry keys. The installer won’t detect the games otherwise.
You will also need 22GB of free hard drive space in order to run the installer.
What versions of the game are supported?
TTW supports English Steam and GoG versions of both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. The original disc version of Fallout 3 is also supported, but you will need to ensure you have the latest patch .
To change to the English version of the game:
Steam: Go to your Library and right click on the game. Select Properties, and then in the new window select the Language tab. Choose English from the dropdown list and allow Steam to update your game.
GoG: Go to your Library in the GoG Galaxy launcher, select the game and choose More, Settings, Language.
Do mods work with TTW?
As TTW is a Total Conversion for Fallout: New Vegas, many mods that work for FNV will work with TTW. However, the mod may not apply any changes to the Fallout 3 side of the game, or may not work correctly without a patch. Mods that reuse Fallout 3 content or delete it or change shared records/scripts may not be compatible.
Fallout 3 mods will not work with TTW without a conversion process, which will be released in the coming weeks. Keep an eye on the Downloads page.
Is fix mod X compatible with TTW?
No, TTW already fixes this issue, the issue needs fixed at the engine level, or is incompatible with TTW. Some of these incompatible fix mods include but are not limited to:
- YUP (TTW includes its own YUP version called YUPTTW.esm)
- NVSE Unofficial Patch
- Unofficial Patch Plus
- HeroInZero's weapon fixes
- Weapon Mesh Improvement Mod (included)
Can I use mods for TTW 2.9 with 3.2?
No, TTW 3.2 is a total rebuild of the mod, and mods made for previous versions will not be compatible. A conversion process will be provided in the coming weeks to convert Fallout 3 mods and TTW 2.9 mods to work in 3.2. Until this is available, the only officially supported mods are those in the Mod Releases 3.x forum section.
Can I use an existing save?
Short answer: No.
You cannot use an existing Fallout: New Vegas save to play TTW. Even though a save might load, there are too many changes for it to work correctly. No support is provided for FNV saves loaded with TTW.
Saves made with previous versions of TTW will not work with 3.x. Too many changes were made to allow saves to be compatible.
What does the TTW_NVSE.dll plugin do?
It provides a couple of functions that TTW needs, for example allowing the use of the Gene Projector instead of the Reflectron for the character generation sequence, it also allows the arrows on the Baby Book to be in the correct orientation. These things are documented in the function descriptions on GECK Wiki . It also fixes bugs relating to the Rock-It Launcher that are specific to TTW.
What does the TTW Installer do?
- Patches FalloutNV game executable for 4GB LAA and automatic NVSE loading
- Installs NVSE 5.1beta4
- Installs updated Vorbis dll's v1.3.6
- Includes JIP LN NVSE Plugin 54.65
- Creates (or modifies) FalloutCustom.ini in "My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV" with necessary archive changes and some performance changes
- Decompresses BSA files for both Fallout NV and Fallout 3 (the ones which were created for TTW, not the ones in the Fallout 3 game directory) for performance
- Transcodes sound effects from .ogg to .wav so they work
- Transcodes all voice files to 24khz sample rate like New Vegas ones to virtually elminate distortion with voice modulation
- Transcodes mono mp3 -> wav -> stereo wav -> mp3 for some FO3 radio tracks
- Moves .mp3 files out of bsa and into loose files so they work
- Patches/creates all non-unique assets dynamically from original game files
Read before you run the installer!
Do not run the installer from inside the .7z archive.
Always extract the files from your archive before trying to install TTW.
Is there a TTW discord? How about social media?
My download keeps getting stuck at a partially completed state or failing
We added an overseas server to our CDN. If you're having troubles with the download, please select the Asian download server from the download page.
If you still have problems, try the Google Drive mirror on this forum post.
My installer is giving a BASS Init error
Make sure you have both games installed and patched, and that they have both been run at least once. This includes if you validated Steam files while still installed. Run each game while vanilla, and close. Then run the TTW installer.
My installer is giving a BASS Encode error
First, ensure all files are present -- if a file is missing, antivirus may have deleted something on extraction from the archive. Re-extract after you temporarily disable AV.
If the installer is failing even with all files present, delete oggenc2.exe and try again.
My installer is giving a XD3 Input Error
The games are not patched to the latest version, or have been modified in some way (vanilla esms have been cleaned for example). If you "cleaned" your .esm files for either Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas, or Decompressed or otherwise modified the .BSA files, you will need to validate/reinstall the original files before the TTW installer can run against them. If your Fallout 3 version is from disc, make sure it is fully patched: http://patches.bethsoft.com/fallout3-patchnotes-1.7-en.htm
My game is crashing on start
Exactly when the crash is happening will help you pinpoint the error.
If you are crashing immediately, before you even get to loading projector slides, you either have missing master files, or missing NVSE/JIP LN NVSE plugin. Make sure all required plugins are active (see the load order section), as well as any master files for any mods you may have.
If you are crashing after the loading projector slides, but right before the Start New Game/Load Game/Main Menu text would have loaded, you have a missing menu file. You may have had a UI mod in the past which you have since uninstalled, but which left an "include" for in a vanilla xml, telling the vanilla xml to load a mod xml which no longer exists. As an example, this include text in the xml may look like
>-- if you did not have the Mod Configuration Menu active, this would be a problem. Most often, these will be at the bottom of "\main\Hud_Main_Menu.xml" or "\options\Start_Menu.xml", but they could be any. User Interface Organizer may help automatically clean these orphaned references.
My installer is giving an NTDLL error (or CPU is overheating)
Run the installer with command line argument to limit number of CPU threads/cores parameter -threads:1
My audio is stuttering
If you have stuttering with audio, and you have Malwarebytes, Windows Defender or other real-time Antivirus protection, it may be interfering.
You can add an exception for FalloutNV.exe in Windows Defender and most other real-time Antivirus software as an effective solution for this problem.
Some voices are still crackling even though I ran the installer with full ogg encoding
Fallout 3 voices are recorded at a different bitrate than New Vegas voices. This causes the modulation (such as Power Armor helmets) to sometimes "pop" or "crackle" during speech. The installer, by default, will re-encode Fallout 3 voices to the New Vegas bit-rate. However, if you ran the installer from the .bat file the installer will have launched with command line arguments to skip this encoding process.
If you did the full ogg encoding and are still experiencing some voice modulation crackling, try changing you audio output settings in Windows to 44.1kHz instead of 96kHz; and ensure that you do not have equalization or boosting turned on in software for the audio card. To check the output settings of your audio:
- Select Sounds
- Select Playback tab
- Select your primary playback device
- Click the Properties button
- Select Advanced tab
- Set default format to 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100Hz (CD quality)
- Click Apply button
Why am I getting pink screens?
Pink screens are caused by the INI option
SMainMenuMovieIntro=0. The correct value should be
This can be changed in the General section of your Fallout.ini
I have missing meshes (Red Diamonds)
You probably have missed the final step of the installation, which is a manual process if using a mod manager. The installer will have created FalloutCustom.ini in MyGames\FalloutNV\. You need to copy the contents of this file into the FalloutCustom.ini in your mod manager's profile. See the section on "What .ini settings do I need to make?" for what this should look like.
I installed TTW using Mod Organizer or MO2 and now the game will not work
When you install TTW using Mod Organizer (MO) or Mod Organizer 2 (MO2), you have to launch Fallout New Vegas from your MO/MO2. Otherwise the game will not be able to access TTW and any other mods you installed using your Mod Organizer.
How do I export my Load Order (LO)
Exporting your LO depends on what Mod Manager you use. Please see this post on our forums for more information.
What should my load order be?
The TTW load order must be:
Do I need Sheson's Memory Patch?
Sheson's Memory Patch code is incorporated in NVSE, and the setting to enable it is already enabled in the \nvse\nvse_config.ini which is included in the TTW installation. The configuration TTW uses for this is:
I watched GamerPoets' Performance Video. How much applies to TTW?
Much of GamerPoets' guide is done automatically by the TTW 3.2 installer as you can see in the What does the TTW Installer do? section. The list below details the parts of the video which are NOT done by the TTW installer which the video can help with. The strike through denotes that the TTW installer automatically does this. Note that JIP LN NVSE plugin is included in the TTW installer, but it may update more frequently than TTW does, so you should check the Nexus Mods page for updates to it. Its current version in the TTW package is 54.65 while Nexus has 54.70.
4GB Patch NVSE
Vorbis DLL Update
JIP LN NVSE Plugin*** INI Settings
What settings should I use for NVSR?
The following settings are suggested in sr_New_Vegas_Stutter_Remover.ini. In particular, enabling bReplaceHeap is unstable and not 4GB aware. If you are on Windows 10, enabling bHookCriticalSections and bHookLightCriticalSections will cause crashes, so leave them disabled. If you are not on Windows 10, you can try enabling bHookCriticalSections.
- bManageFPS = 0
- bHookCriticalSections = 0
- bHookLightCriticalSections = 0
- bHookHashtables = 0
- bReplaceHeap = 0
- bReplaceGetTickCount = 1
- bLogToConsole = 0
- bFastExit = 1
- bFlushLog = 1
- iSchedulingResolution = 0
- bReplaceRandom = 0
- bExperimentalStuff = 0
- iMainHookPoint = 1
What settings should I use for NVAC?
There are no special settings to apply for NVAC.
How can I tell if the 4GB patch is working?
JIP LN NVSE Plugin has a function which can be run from the console, "GetIsLAA" (not case sensitive). Possible return codes: 0=patch is not applied; 1=patch was applied to the executable, but extra memory is not being allocated; 2=successfully allocated extra memory from the patch and is fully working. If GetIsLAA is return 1, try running the game as administrator.
Do I need to generate LOD?
No, they are included. You will still need to download additional assets by 3rd parties if you want to use them. Do not generate Tree LOD, it is not used in the New Vegas engine.
What .ini settings do I need to make?
In TTW 3.2, you no longer need to set the sCharGenQuest ini setting; the TTW_nvse.dll does this for you at runtime. bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles is not needed for TTW 3.2 itself, since all face textures are generated; mods may still need it activated, but be aware that setting it will affect performance. Rather than editing Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini, TTW instead creates FalloutCustom.ini in \MyGames\FalloutNV\. JIP LN NVSE plugin loads FalloutCustom.ini as a third ini, allowing extra settings to be set without messing with the core ini files. Why is there a "grass" setting in an ini otherwise oriented on performance? Fallout 3 set this at 7000. Fallout New Vegas was hard coded at a cap of 3000, but JIP LN plugin removed that hard coded limit, so TTW restored it to its Fallout 3 level. The default FalloutCustom.ini that is created by TTW 3.2 is below****
***iNumHWThreads is dependent upon your CPU. The installer will create the configuration dynamically based on yours; the below is only an example. iNumHWThreads includes all cores (logical and hardware), so it includes "hyperthreading" cores, for example.***
- SArchiveList=Fallout - Invalidation.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Textures2.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Meshes2.bsa, Fallout - Voices1.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa
Are there any mods or files I shouldn't be using with TTW?
There are definitly some mods, utilities, files, etc. You should never use with TTW. Here is a list of known and :
If you have a 16:9 aspect ratio (such as 1920x1080 resolution) you may also make the mouse have the same speed on the x and y axes:
Are there any mods or files I shouldn't be using with TTW?
Yes. There are some things out there that will break TTW. Here's a short list:
- New Vegas Configator
To access a list of Mods that are incompatible with TTW, check the forum here.
How do I get to the Mojave and back to the Capital Wasteland?
Tale of Two Wastelands includes a large custom created Union Station, where you can take a train ride from DC to the Mojave. This train station is in a new DC worldspace called Columbus Circle. To get back to the Mojave, use the Union Station located in Freeside.
For detailed instructions on how to reach the train station, check the forum here.
DO NOT USE CONSOLE COMMANDS OR OUTDATED TRAVEL MODS TO CHANGE WASTELANDS. Always use the TTW train stations or any (up-to-date) mod that offers a safe travel option. This is because TTW needs to set specific variables and quests (when changing wastelands) for the game to run properly. If you "cheat", you will break your game.
What perks were given to DC companions?
- Butch - Tunnel Snakes Rule: Butch is a gang member at heart, and he does better with a sense of belonging. While Butch is in your party, you both gain +5% Damage if he is using the same weapon as you, and you both gain +5% DR if he is using the same armor as you, with an extra +5% DR if they are Tunnel Snake outfits.
- Charon - The Contract: Charon is absolutely loyal to the holder of his contract, putting himself in harm's way to keep them safe. Unfortuantely for him, his contract holder lives a dangerous adventurous life... For each 10% health you are below maximum, you gain 1 DT.
- Clover - Get Lucky: Eulogy was right about her. When you have had a hard day on the road and are ready to call it a night she will make sure you wake up with a grin. With Clover in your party, the Well Rested bonus will grant you an additional 15% experience boost and +1 Luck.
- Dogmeat - Man's Best Friend: Dogmeat is man's best friend, and he knows how to coordinate and run interference. While he is in your party, you will deal +25% damage to knocked down targets. In addition, you can ask Dogmeat to 'mark' his territory, setting a fast-travel marker to that spot.
- Fawkes - Over-Compensation: Fawkes' love for heavy weapons is infectious. With Fawkes in your party, weapon strength requirements are 1 point lower for you.
- Jericho - Scrappy Survivor: Jericho's many years roughing it in the wasteland taught him to get by with nothing but scraps and ruins. You can talk to him any time to make a campfire.
- RL-3 - Drill Sergeant: Hooah! The gung-ho Sergeant RL-3 egging you on prompts you to excel at killing, whether they're Communists or not. While RL-3 is with you, you'll have -5% gun spread, and +5% Crit chance.
- Star Paladin Cross - Second Skin: Star Paladin Cross is a seasoned veteran of power armor use and can show you how to deal with the idiosyncrasies of power armor. While Star Paladin Cross is in your party, you have +1 Agility and +30 carry weight when you are wearing Power Armor.
Where are the cross-wasteland homes for companions?
In addition to having a Lucky 38 home once you've got the suite, the DC companions also have a home in NV, and the NV companions have a home in DC, if you take them on the train with you.
- Arcade: Rivet City science lab
- Boone: Sniper Shack
- Butch: Freeside Kings
- Cass: Canterbury Common
- Charon: The Thorn
- Clover: Freeside train station
- Dogmeat: Gibson scrapyard
- ED-E: Megaton
- Fawkes: Jacobstown
- Jericho: The Atomic Wrangler
- Lily: Museum of History
- Raul: Museum of History
- Rex: Megaton
- RL-3: Goodsprings
- Star Paladin Cross: New Vegas Medical Clinic
- Veronica: Megaton
What changes are made to bobbleheads?
- Agility: You now run 10% faster.
- Barter: Items you buy now cost 10% less.
- Charisma: You can now hire any companion regardless of your Karma.
- Endurance: Your Damage Resistance has been permanently increased by 5.
- Energy Weapons: When using Energy Weapons, you ignore an additional 5 DT.
- Explosives: Explosives now have 10% less spread.
- Guns: Guns now have 10% less spread.
- Intelligence: You now gain 1 extra skill point each level.
- Lockpick: Your Lockpicks are now less likely to break.
- Luck: Each point of Luck gives you extra chance to critically hit an opponent.
- Medicine: You are now 10% less likely to become addicted.
- Melee Weapons: You now swing Melee Weapons 10% faster.
- Perception: You are now 10% more accurate with all ballistic and energy weapons.
- Repair: Your weapons and armor now degrade 10% slower.
- Science: You now do 10% more damage to robots.
- Sneak: Your sneak attack criticals now do 10% more damage.
- Speech: Speech checks are permanently 5% easier.
- Strength: You can now carry 25 lbs. more gear.
- Survival: Positive chem effects last 10% longer.
- Unarmed: Your unarmed attacks do double damage against blocking opponents
What harvestables are added?
New activatable harvestable meshes were created for several existing food items which had no plant to pick them from (some of them, like the trees, only in select places like Oasis):
- Mutfruit plant
- Crunchy Mutfruit plant
- Potato plant
- Carrot plant
- Apple tree
- Pear tree
In addition, three new edible ingredients with harvestables were created out of existing meshes:
- Brain fungus
- Glowing mushroom
What recipes are added?
Many recipes were added, partly due to the majority of recipes in NV using plants that would not make sense to grow outside the desert. New recipes were created using ingredients that could be found in the Capital Wasteland. In addition, because the NV engine has ammo types, the F3 Dart Gun has recipes to craft darts for each type of poison (not just the NV poisons, but also the 4 new poison types introduced by TTW). The F3 craftable items were turned in to the NV crafting system.
- Mutfruit Marinade
- Centaur Sangria
- Wasteland Hot Dog
- Brain Freeze
- Mirelurk Special
- Brain Food
- Nukalurk Sushi
- Spicy Quantum Sauce
- Spicy Nukalurk Roll
- Yao Guai Medallions
- Mole Rat Steak
- Fire Ant Bits
- Ant Bits
- Fire Ant Nog
- Ant Nog
- Bloatfly Smoothie
- Steamed Radroach
- Mirelurk Cakes
- Steamed Mirelurk
- Mirelurk Thermador
- Out Of This World Pie
- Deathclaw Poison
- Rust Rot
Fallout 3 Weapons:
- Deathclaw Gauntlet
- Railway Rifle
- Rock-It Launcher
- Molotov Cocktail
- Trench Knife
- Cryo Mine
- Cryo Grenade
- Bottlecap Mine
- Nuka Cocktail
Fallout 3 Ammo:
- .32 Match
Other New stuff:
- Liquid Nitrogen
What items are added?
Cut weapons, armor and clothing from Fallout 3 restored:
- Alloy Steel 10mm Pistol
- Alloy Steel 10mm Submachine Gun
- Alloy Steel Assault Rifle
- Alloy Steel Combat Shotgun
- Alloy Steel Silenced 10mm Pistol
- Black Bart's Bane
- Chinese Dragoon Assault Rifle
- Chinese Dragoon Pistol
- Clover's Cleaver
- Discharge Hammer
- Law Dog
- Love Tap
- O'Grady's Peacemaker
- Pa's Fishing Aid
Armor and Clothing:
- Apocalypse Gladiator Armor and Helmet
- Army Mechanic Jumpsuit
- Army Power Armor
- Army Recon Armor
- Chinese Commando Hat
- Chinese General Hat
- Chinese General Uniform
- Chinese Jumpsuit
- Commando Armor
- Composite Recon Armor and Helmet
- Defender armor
- Dirty Chinese Commando Hat
- Doctor Li's Glasses
- Enclave Shocktrooper Armor and Helmet
- General Chase's Overcoat
- Hand-Me-Down Raider Armor
- Highway Scar Armor
- Lab Goggles
- Lyons' Pride Recon Armor
- Oasis Exile Hood
- Outcast Recon Armor and Helmet (not unique)
- Road Rascal Leather Armor
- Sharp-Dressed Raider's Armor
- Shellshocked Combat Armor and Helmet
- Tenpenny Security Helmet (Not Unique)
- Tesla Resonance Armor
- The Devil's Pigtails
- Winterized Combat Armor
20 new weapon mods are added:
- .32 Rifle Extended Mag - Increases ammunition capacity (+5).
- .32 Rifle Long Barrel - Decreases spread.
- Combat Shotgun Reflex Sight - Decreases spread.
- Combat Shotgun Refurbished Parts - Increases Weapon Condition (+50%).
- Combat Shotgun Synthetic Stock - Decreases weight.
- .32 Pistol Light Action - Increases fire rate.
- .32 Pistol Long Barrel - Decreases spread.
- Chinese Assault Rifle Short Barrel - Decreases weight.
- Chinese Assault Rifle Forged Receiver - Increases condition (+50%).
- Assault Rifle Drums - Increases ammunition capacity (+26).
- Assault Rifle Heavy Barrel - Increases condition (+50%).
- Infiltrator Laser Sight - Decreases spread.
- Infiltrator Tactical Stock - Decreases spread.
- Lever-Action Rifle Sights - Decreases spread.
- Lever-Action Rifle Improved Parts - Increases condition (+50%).
- Double-Barreled Shotgun Turkey Chokes - Decreases spread.
- Double-Barreled Shotgun Maplewood Stock - Decreases Weight.
- Chinese Pistol Rifled Barrel - Increases damage (+30%).
- Chinese Pistol Extended Magazine - Increases clip capacity (+6).
- Chinese Pistol Bluing - Increases condition (+20%).
What else was added or restored?
Cut schematics to craft the Cryolator, Trench Knife, Nuka Cocktail and Molotov Cocktail were restored.
Sierra Petrovita's cut lines about the Molotov Cocktail were also restored.
TTW also restored cut, and added, robot skins and decals. You will now see Outcasts with their own style of robots (Robobrains, Protectrons, Sentry Bots), same with the Brotherhood of Steel. Now Protectrons (like Deputy Weld and the Metro ones) will have their own stickers (decals) too.
TTW added more Super Mutant animations. Which allows them to use more weapons.
Capital Wasteland's Super Mutants also have access to more weapons that don't require new animations, like Bumper Swords and Fire Axes, for example.
Armors added by TTW:
- Enclave Power Armor MKI
- Enclave Tesla Power Armor MKI
- Lyons Pryde T-51b
- Outcasts T-51b
TTW restores the crafting of FO3 weapons. This means that the ammount of schematics (for each weapon) you own, will affect the condition (HP of the weapon) or the quantity (in case of explosives) of what you craft.