The Team has Completely rebuilt TTW from the ground up. We have an all new one step installer and the download has been greatly reduced in size.
By downloading and running this installer you agree that you understand the following:
- This is an ALPHA, we have done out best to fix most major bugs before opening it to the public, but there will still be bugs, and some may be game breaking.
- EVERYTHING is subject to change. This may on occasion require you to start a whole new game. We will do our best to keep forced restarts to a minimum, but it may happen.
- Use of mods, especially in large numbers, can lead to unforeseen problems. We suggest you keep your load order short until we declare the alpha phase over. During beta phase, we will start focusing on mod compatibility and troubleshooting. If you choose to run TTW with large amounts of mods, be warned that the development team will probably not have the time to help you resolve your issues.
This version requires all Fallout 3 downloadable content and all Fallout New Vegas downloadable content: The Pitt, Operation Anchorage, Broken Steel, Point Lookout, Mothership Zeta, Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, Gun Runners Arsenal. The easiest way to acquire all DLC content is to purchase Fallout 3 Game Of The Year Edition and Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition.
Courier's Stash (Courier's stash includes all pre-order packs: Caravan Pack, Classic Pack, Mercenary Pack, Tribal Pack) is now optional.
TTW no longer alters any of Fallout New Vegas's original .esm's or, BSA's so at any point you can turn off TTW just like any other mod and, go back to vanilla FNV. From a modder's perspective this is a good thing because you can use the GECK to mod vanilla FNV as you could before you installed TTW.
Legal, English versions of all Fallout 3 patched to 1.7 with all DLC content (or Fallout 3 Game Of The Year Edition) installed on your computer. Pirated games WILL NOT WORK with TTW. Yes, really.
Legal, English versions of Fallout New Vegas patched to 1.4 with all DLC content (or Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition) installed on your computer. Pirated games WILL NOT WORK with TTW. Yes, really.
You must NOT be using Mission Mojave Ultimate Edition(MMUE) or New Vegas Error Corrections(NVEC). At the moment they are completely incompatible with TTW.
The installer requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable SP1 (if your operating system is x64 (64-bit), make sure you install both the x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) versions).
If you don't already have Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (download for x86 or x64) on your computer, you will need to install that as well.
The installer requires the latest version of .NET Framework (4.5 for Windows 7 and up, 4.0 for Windows XP)
To find out which version of Windows you are using, open the Start menu, right-click on "Computer" and select "Properties". In the center, look for "System Type".
- Make sure you have none of your Fallout 3 files set to “read only” in their properties.
- If you still get an error while running the installer, you should search our site for the error message.
If you are upgrading from an older version of TTW, you need to:
Go to your \Fallout New Vegas\data\ folder and move the following files out of the folder (don't delete them until you're sure the new version of TTW is working):
- All "Fallout3" .bsa files
- All "TaleOfTwoWastelands" .bsa files
- All "TTW" .esp files that came with the installer
- Run the installer as described in the next section of this page
Tell the new TTW installer to install to a new, empty folder
- DO NOT tell the installer to install directly to your FNV directory
- DO NOT tell the installer to install to a folder where you previously installed TTW
- When you are installing the FOMOD, make sure to OVERWRITE ANY OLD FILES
If you have upgraded from TTW version 2.0a or later, you do not need to make a new character.
Launch the installer .exe file by right-clicking on it and choosing "Run as Administrator". THIS IS NOT OPTIONAL.
When the installer loads, make sure it has found the correct location of both your Fallout 3 and, Fallout New Vegas Installs. If not use the browse button to navigate to the correct game directories.
In the install location field, use the browse button to navigate to your preferred TTW installation directory. DO NOT INSTALL DIRECTLY TO YOUR FNV DIRECTORY.
Note: You will see a blank command prompt window pop up on occasion, this is normal and will happen several times as the patcher extracts all the needed files from your Fallout 3 directory and repacks the needed files into your Fallout New Vegas directory.
The first time you run the patcher this will take some time, be patient and, let it run its course. It may appear as though the patcher freezes up from time to time, but please be patient.
The installer can take between 30 minutes to several hours depending on the speed of your computer. Primarily, it is based on your hard drive speed. For example, users with mirrored solid state drives, fast processors, and lots of ram will have sub 1-hour install times.
When the installer finishes it will ask if you would like it to make a FOMOD; TTW is much easier to install with NMM; we suggest you allow it to make a FOMOD. If you would rather do a manual install (not recommended) see the instructions in the next section.
FOMM can be used to install the FOMOD as well, but only if you have 64-bit Windows, swap out the FOMM .exe and have at least 8GB of RAM
Make sure NMM is closed. Navigate to the TTW install directory and move the FOMODs (TaleOfTwoWastelands_234_Main.fomod, TaleOfTwoWastelands_234_Options.fomod) to your NMM FNV mods folder (C:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Fallout New Vegas\Mods\ by default)
- Open NMM and go to the "Mods" tab. Inside you should see two new FOMODs (Tale of Two Wastelands - Main files, Tale of Two Wastelands - Optional Files). Install Main Files first and the Optional Files afterward. If NMM shows the "Upgrade" dialog asking if you want to Upgrade or install normally, click No to install normally.
You're done! If this is your first time playing TTW, start a new game, otherwise load an existing save and enjoy A Tale of Two Wastelands. Additionally, you may want to download other TTW-compatible mods that are listed in the TTW Mod Releases Forum.
Manual Installation (not recommended)
WE DO NOT RECOMMEND MANUAL INSTALLATION because it makes TTW difficult to remove from your game directory if you want to uninstall or upgrade TTW later.
That said, manual installation may be required on some older systems with 32-bit operating systems and low amounts of RAM, simply because mod managers just don't work well on these older systems. So here are the steps:
Copy everything that is generated by the TTW installer (except the .fomods obviously) to your \Fallout New Vegas\Data\ folder.
- Prepare to copy the files and folders in such a way so that the .esm, .esp, and .bsa files generated by the TTW installer end up in the \Data\ folder, and keep the subfolders (\music\, etc.) the same too.
- Copy EVERYTHING except the "fomod" folder from the "Main Files" folder into your NV data folder
Within the "Optional Files" folder, there are various sub folders.
- Each subfolder represents a separate add on.
- Inside these subfolders is a "Description.txt" that explains what that mod does.
- If you decide you want a mod, copy all files and folders (Except "Description.txt" "FileList.txt" and "Image.bmp" these are used solely for the fomod) into your FNV \Data\ folder.
You need to make an edit to your .INI file so that you start the game properly. This is normally done by the .fomod when it is installed.
- The file you're looking for is C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Fallout.ini
- You may also want to make the changes in FalloutDefault.ini in the game folder as well, if you use the normal game launcher for some reason. Using that launcher overwrites Fallout.ini with the values in FalloutDefault.ini every time it's run.
Make these changes:
- SCharGenQuest = 001FFFF8
- sIntroMovie = (yes this one is blank on purpose, it needs to be blank)
- bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles = 1
Set your load order with a mod manager. Your load order MUST BE:
The Courier's Stash packs are optional.
- everything else
v1.1a (public release)
- Placed repair kits in DC
- Placed NV chmes in DC
- Made diggable graves in DC require a shovel
- Created TTW specific load screens
- Updated main screen to show "Tale of Two Wastelands"
- Updated Deathclaw assets with appropriate NV assets
- Fixed the River City bridge not extending when approaching with dad
- Made Eulogy Jones' door a little easier to click on (only handle was available)
- Made DC fungi harvestable
- Fixed first-person textures on DC weapons
- Fixed iron sights on appropriate DLC weapons
- Created unique reinforced and reinforced mk2 Talon Company armors
- Made DC Super Mutants properly yellow
- Tweaked and updated most leveled lists and merchants (should be done)
v1.2a (public release)
- Fixed some errors with companions and weapon confiscation in the fort and on the strip
- Included a new readius compatibility file which SHOULD help fix some of the problems associated with using the readius
- Fixed being unable to buy tickets in the Mojave
- Updated the travel script a bit
v1.3a (public release)
- Fixed an installer bug that would occur if the registry points to the wrong location
- Made the installer not feel the need to copy over the DLC .bsa files every time the installer runs
- Fixed missing dialog and made sure robots use the appropriate voices depending on wasteland
- Updated the train station script and created a helper quest that can be used for alternate travel methods (to ensure that cross-wasteland variables, radio stations and the like are properly set)
- Certain Boomers no longer use Three Dogs Sunglasses
- You can now pick the glowing green mushrooms in DC for a new harvestable "Glowing Mushroom"
- Implemented a new poison and food recipe which require "Glowing Mushroom"
- Placed a ticket to New Vegas hidden in Union Station, if you can find it (not hard) your first trip to Vegas is free and comes with a complimentary bullet to the head!
- Fixed raiders using bumper swords (and looking like morons...)
- DC Super Mutants also no longer use bumper swords (Because of the inappropriate license plate)
- Fixed a bug that would occur if your TTW directory is the same as your FNV directory
v1.4a (public release)
- Fixed some enclave not using the proper armor leveled list
- Fixed some Broken Steel perks being duplicates of FNV perks
- Enclave no longer has a chance to carry LAERs due to balance issues
- Fixed some problems with Paradise Falls door scripts not working
- Fixed Girdershade crashes
- Fixed Tree LOD in the D.C. wasteland
- Overhauled form lists so that perks and challenges work with cross-wasteland and cross-DLC content. For example, the simulation weapons in Anchorage will now benefit from the grunt perk.
v1.41a (public release)
- Added an XP reduction plugin to the download list. It increases XP required to go from 1 to 50 by 100%
v2.1a (public release)
- Full system overhaul for more efficiency REQUIRES A NEW GAME
- Better mod compatibility (requires a bit more effort to convert FO3 mods, but they ultimately work better)
- Cleaned up some remaining references to .32 and generic shotgun shells
- Downgraded Combat Shotgun to 20ga, 75 skill
- Fixed Pitt armor being marked as heavy rather than light like all other raider armors
- Fixed ordinance and bombshell armor giving big guns skill
- Made Almost Perfect use 'SetAV' instead of 'ModAV' so that 'GetPermAV' returns the proper value (Almost Perfect will now allow more implants)
- Cleaned up some weapons still using big guns
- Fixed some ingestibles being labeled as big guns
- The New Vegas space suit and helmet may be used in place of the astronaut suit in Mothership Zeta (needs testing)
- Hematophage allows hunger and dehydration restoration from blood packs
- Removed the "Recover" flag on the Rebound effect, should make rebound actually regenerate AP
- Added some new recipes
- Samurai Helmet now gives DT instead of DR
- Mechanist costume is now heavy instead of light
- Pulse weapons now properly effect ALL power armor
- Rock-It-Launcher no longer is labeled as using 5mm ammo and no longer causes Fallout to crash and burn
- Fixed a bug where the tier 3 nuka-grenade recipe was unlocked while having only 2 schematics
- Mothership Zeta now properly unequips ALL weapons, to prevent animation errors when being abducted
- The installer now saves an install log txt file to the TTW install directory for troubleshooting purposes
- Fixed dialog related crash with Eden, Fawkes, Gallows and probably others
- Tesla Cannon now bounces and insta-kills Vertibirds, the bounce may be removed...
- You are fully healed on your first trip to New Vegas
- The Wasteland Survival Guide perk reward now gives a boost to Survival
- Unique weapons and armor can no longer be used to repair their non-unique counterparts
- Lyons' Pride Power Armor acts as a disguise for BoS (both west and east coast)
- The Size Matters perk now gives a 10% boost to accuracy and damage when using heavy weapons
- The Ghoul Ecology perk now properly affects ONLY ghouls
- Sarah Lyons now gives you Lyons' Pride power armor when starting Take It Back!
- Aqua Pura now properly restores dehydration and should scale with survival skill
- The installer now outputs an install log
- The installer no longer requires you to press enter when extracting BSAs
v2.2a (public release)
- Installer overhaul, should have better XP compatibility now
- More concise and clear install status message
- Now writes the TTW install log to: Documents/My Games/TaleOfTwoWastelands
- Fixed a navmesh issue outside Rivet City Market
- Fixed some broken ONAMs in .esm files
- Updated master list in optional files
- Fixed Rock-it-Launcher again (though I'm sure it'll just break again...)
v2.4 (public release) changelog includes all of the following:
2.3a (development snapshot)
- Fixed some remaining items that have DR and shouldn't
- Rewrote entire installer in C#
- Transitioned to FOMOD format
- Fixed a bug where robots weren't working properly
- Properly injected Tri-Beam Laser Rifle, Tesla Cannon and Heavy Incinerator from BrokenSteel into FalloutNV
- Began to implement NVSE enhancements, NVSE is not required, but TTW will benefit from its installation
- (NVSE) Implemented a method of determining which worldspace the player is in, for modders
- Rebalanced Power Armor a bit
- Implemented an east coast exclusive APA1 allowing remnants armor to remain unique.
- Fixed Nukalurk Sushi not showing up
- Removed hardcore modifications for Anchorage, needs no longer decay while in simulation
- Fixed missing Broken Steel voices
- Fixed bug where you could not leave Anchorage
- Fixed Vault 112 Robobrain having the wrong voice
- Fixed strange looking letter statics in DC
- Fixed DC random encounters showing up in NV
- Fixed StashPackOptions not showing the Stash Pack selection menu
- Fixed a statue missing a mesh in DC (link) (link)
- Hellfire troopers should now only carry Hellfire Armor, and nobody else should anymore
- Wasteland Survival Guide retextured to "Scout Handbook" to help fix continuity errors
- Fixed NPCs getting stuck outside Rivet City Market
- Fixed Lever action rifle and Lincolns Repeater not being in Cowboy / Old Vaquero lists
- Fixed unable to see world map from citadel
- Fixed Zeta crashes when removing equipped items on abduction
2.31a (development snapshot)
- Fixed Scavengers have no intro dialogue
- Fixed Drone Cannon has no skill or Strength requirement
- Drone cannon is now an energy weapon
- Fixed outcasts being marked as evil
- Sydney no longer follows you after completing the quest (needs testing)
- Cyborg perk now gives 5 DT, 10 Rad and Poison resist, and 5 E Weapons, still OP
- Fixed Boone making location based comments in DC
- Fixed Zeta crushers giving massive amounts of XP
- Fixed dogmeat talking to you sometimes...
- Fixed installer not moving Fallout3 Sounds and Video
- Fixed installer not building FOMOD
- Fixed FOMOD not installing optional files
- Fixed FOMOD not arranging load order
2.32a (development snapshot)
- Minor rewrite to boost efficiency a tad
- Told 7Zip not to compress FOMOD (the bsas are already compressed, it was a waste of time)
- Fixed issue when copying over Video and Music from FO3
2.33a (development snapshot)
- Code thrashing trying to figure out install issues
- Added a second FOMOD containing optional files
2.40a (development snapshot)
- Added some error handling when copying files
- Fixed the FOMOD sometimes skipping certain files
2.41a (development snapshot)
- Created a new train station for DC with its own quest, 3D models, etc. (this was a BIG project involving many people)
- Fixed the optional files being empty (for some reason they were all the right size, but all 0's instead of actual code)
- Fixed the use of TTW added uniques (Mr. Burkes 10mm, Competition Revolver)
- Enclave Soldiers no longer use recharger weapons (felt out of place)
- Fixed some conflicts in MoreCookingItems and OutcastTrading
- Fixed Hellfire being heavy instead of light like other power helmets
- Fixed door in FranklinMetro02
- Added audio markers to FO3 DLC
- Yao Guai hunter is no longer location specific (link)
- Fixed hellfire armor never spawning
- Hellfire troopers now always spawn with a heavy incinerator and hellfire armor (link)
- Restored vanilla FO3 Chinese Assault Rifle sound (link)
- Fixed underwater citadel (link)
- Fixed and updated TTW Worldchecker scripts/quests/functions
- Completed changing Big Guns bobblehead into Survival bobblehead, including new unique mesh (link)
- Removed some script on bobbleheads dealing with a legacy Misc Stat and achievements
- Fixed lack of music in Broken Steel (link)
- Made CharGen BB Gun not use first person IS animations (link)
- Fixed Rivet City Broken Bow Clutter Ownership (link)
- Fixed V101 Start Tutorial Brahmin Skull Reference (link)
- Removed non-functional companion wheel on temporary companions (link)
- Fixed water around the Jefferson Memorial is not clean after main quest (link)
- Fixed Star Paladin Cross' Dialog Loop (link)
- Fixed Mechanist and Antagonizer helmet meshes for ground models (link) (link)
- Fixed Unusable doors prevent transitions to certain areas (link)
- Fixed Cannot hire Clover when playing as a female PC (link)
- Fixed some dialogue and lip synch issues (link)
- Fixed Combat Shotgun reload sounds not obeying Rapid Reload (link)
- Fix for ENB users where the alpha channel is somehow 'forced' through despite shader properties or lack of alpha properties in .nif.
- Fixed Aqua Pura missing meshes (link)
- Fixed Butler robot missing dialogue (link)
- Fixed slave outfits not being recognized in the Pitt start quest (link)
- Added mushroom smoothie item that trades radiation for limb healing, for the desperate (link)
- Temporarily disabled the Pitt ammo press (link)
IMPORTANT - DOWNLOAD THESE TOO:
until we can get the next stable alpha version out, you will also want to download these hotfixes and install them after you have finished the main TTW install:
- download and activate this .esp patch (fixes temp. companions)
- download and activate this .esp patch (fixes citadel)
- download and activate this .esp patch (fixes the intro on start a new game)
- download and install these meshes (fixes missing meshes)
- download and install these meshes (fixes the missing coffins in PL)
- download and activate this .esp (fixes the PL lighthouse lightbulb bug)
- download and activate this .esp (fixes followers not being dismissed properly in some places like PL boat riding)
- download, install and activate this .esp and meshes (fixes the stash pack not being given after getting out of vault 101, also fixes the weathered 10mm pistol to allow and display all 10mm pistol mods)
OPTIONAL - ONLY USE THIS ONE IF YOU HAVE RUBBLE BLOCKING THE METRO AREA WHERE THE DOOR TO REACH THE UNION STATION IS - PLEASE READ THE POST ON THAT PAGE:
- download and activate this .esp (fixes the metro rubble not letting some people reach the Union Station )
LATEST TTW INSTALLER: